Hollowpoint performance through thick clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamster

Ok, which bullet design offers the best performance (expansion & penetration) after passing through thick layers of clothing? Gold Dots, Hydra-Shoks, Golden Sabers?

Best way to tell would be to round up a bunch of obliging goblins and do some real-world testing. :)

Seriously, from what I hear, they're all about equal. I carry Hydra-Shok (oops, I mean Federal's Personal Defense load) because it's what my .45 likes best.

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

There is only one round that will work reliably as you mention. It is the EMB-MonoBlok Concept round from Keng's Firearms Specialty, Inc. (404) 691-7611.
This round is currently available for Law Enforcement sales only. Could be they will also supply to Private Security, etc.
It is awesome!

One that is still hanging around shelves but was banned a few years back, is the Black Talon. I believe it was from Winchester, folks usually want $25 for 20 online for these. Theye are steel core ammo, meaning instead of folding up, they are hard and will drive through thick stuff. Millitary steel core ammo will do the same thing. Yhey were banned from importation and production to the civilian market, but it is not illegal to pocess any that our currently floating around, just illegal for the companies to import or manufacture. The Govt. got hot because some more powerful calibers had the ability to penetrate a bullet proof vest.
Unless you have a truely whimpy caliber, most handguns will penetrate thick jackets with standard HP ammo. I am assuming you would like to know since winter is arriving and the bad guys are wearing thick winter coats. If you are truly paranoid about penetration, go with a heavy bullet for the caliber and get upwards of a .40, or a magnum. 10mm, .45, .41 mag, .357 sig, .357 mag are just a few. I would stick with standard HP ammo though, fmj ammo has the tendency of wounding, since the energy isn't fully delivered to the target. I would speak to members of your local law enforcement agency, they would be very helpful. In my oppinion, nothing more than a 9mm dawning a 147 gr. hp would be needed for a coat, but oppinions very greatly.

I believe Remington Gloden Sabers preform the best thru heavy clothing. The Gold Dots don't do so good.

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

RobB is a bit confused about the Black Talon ammo. This bullet design was a hollowpoint introduced by Winchester in the US a few years ago, with a radical nose cavity, and jacket cuts that encouraged the bullet to open with sharp points. The bullet had a black lubaloy type coating that made it look 'bad'. It was vilified in the liberal press, condemned as both dangerous to medical personnel treating those wounded by it, and also as a Kevlar vest penetrator. (Don't ask me how it could be both.) The media hysteria caused Winchester to voluntarily withdraw the Black Talon from civilian sales channels, although law enforcement was still permitted to order it on letterhead. (It was apparently quite all right for cops to scatter sharp bullets through civilians for the worried ER docs to prick their fingers on.) The Black Talon myth of super-lethality was a bugbear, invented by antigunners. It isn't illegal in any jurisdiction where more conventional hollowpoints are permitted (NJ being a conspicuous example of a place that bans any HP ammunition.) Except for the sharp points, Winchester's current HP is about the same ammo.

------------------
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I don't think any of the three work well through clothing. Based on tests that I have read and tests of my own, expansion is iffy with bullets whose jacket extends all the way to the end of the hollow cavity without leaving any soft lead exposed. This is true even of .357 Magnum velocities. The three high tech bullets mentioned are designed to rely on fluid pressure to cause expansion. There is little fluid pressure when the cavity is plugged with cloth. What has worked fairly reliably are 1100+ fps. bullets that have alot of lead sticking up past the jacket. This is because lead begins to deform regardless of the type of medium it travels through. It doesn't have to rely on fluid pressure inside of the hollow cavity in order to deform. Cloth will cause some expansion itself.

Actually, HP/JHP aren't illegal in NJ...

I always thought that they were too until I found that most gun stores here carry HydraShok (and that's pretty much the only JHP in 9mm available around here, unfortunately... no 9BP.)

Turns out (straight from the PD's mouth) that HP's are restricted the same way that guns and regular ball ammo themselves are -- you can only carry them in your car if you are going between the store, your home, and the range, and when you transport them, you need to keep the HP's and the firearm in separate containers in separate locations.

(The story the gun store tells is someone who put his gun in the trunk, and the HP's in the glove compartment, and when he got home, he took the gun and put it away and forgot about the HP's. A few days later he gets caught for speeding on the way back from work, and when he opens up the glove compartment to look for his registration, the cop see the box of HP's. Obviously he is not going between his home and the range, and he gets written up something bad for "illegal possession of ammunition" or something like that.

At least, that's as far as I know... and I've bought/shot a few boxes of HydraShoks already.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back