Hollow Points out of a USP45C

AAChang

I'm considering buying a USP45C, but I'm concerned at it's short, sub 4 inch, barrel is too short for the bullet to take advantage of the powder charge and get the velocity necessary for reliable hollow point expansion. I plan to use either Federal Hydrashoks, Speer Gold Dots, or Remington Golden Sabres. Does anyone here have any information or know where I can get it?

Consider using a 185gr. JHP, either standard pressure or +P. I prefer the Golden Saber 185gr. in my P12-45 with 3.5" barrel.

My USP 45C eats a steady diet of 200gr. Hornady XTPs. They feed perfectly and the one I've recovered (from the head of a deer) expanded wondermously - soft tissue entrance, through skull, into brain - great CNS round!

Prior to discovering Hornady, I used Federal all the time in all of my 45s and my 9mm. They both do an excellent job and I have had no bad experiences with expansion from my short-barreled 45s.

A gun mag recently did an article about expansion and velocity from 3 different size 45s. They found no significant statistical differences between the round in a tank test (IIRC - but my memory is subject to failure often).

ERRainman

The 200 grain Hornady load is great... One of the best.
There are a lot of great choices and its easy to pick out a few boxes of different flavors to test. Find the one that works best for you.

Ammo testing is like shopping for a new car. It can be a huge pain in the butt OR it can be a heck of a lot of fun.

Out of a 4" barrel? Go for 200 or 185 gr loads, as suggested above. There is a good selection of loads available (Speer, Corbon, Hornady, Federal, Remington). If you like 200gr loads, it's hard to beat the Corbon or anything with the 200gr Gold Dot bullet. There is no way they will dissapoint. The 185 +P Golden Saber is also excellent, with good street results (and good gelatin results also, pick your religion).

People that say that the .45 is crap out of shorter barrels (but the .40 and 9mm are great from short barrels) think that bullet designs haven't changed in the last 15 years.

Just my $0.02 -- check your point of impact versus aim with a hotter load. My USPc .45 hits dead-on with regular 230 grain, but ProLoad's 200 grain +P hits a little low.

Kind of a bummer, too -- the pistol ate the ProLoad up like it was made for it. 185 grain is still on my test list.

I'd replace the front sight, but I've already had MeproLights installed and I don't think I can get a shorter front sight from them.

I won't be too upset if I have to go with 230 grain, though. That USPc is a really nice gun.

Back