Holding Zero on 10/22

plateshooter

Am I the only one having trouble holding zero with a scope on a 10/22? I have tried 2 different scopes with 2 different sets of rings with the factory mounting rail, and the gun won't hold zero. If I take the scope off, the gun shoots fine with its factory open sites. I am thinking about ordering the Millet angle lock rings and their bases and giving that a try. Could it be the reverse recoil when the bolt hits the back of the receiver? I have never had this problem with any other rifle. Thanks for your replies.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Plateshooter, when you say hold zero do you mean the center of your groups shift from one group to the next? Or do you just meant that it doesn't group as tightly as you'd like? If the groups are shifiting then something is changing/moving. Your scope is loose etc. It could even be you getting slightly out of or shifting your position. If it just doesn't group well about the only answer for that is to have it accurized. George

Sounds like a barrel/receiver fit problem if it shoots OK with the open sights but not with the scope.Check your barrel retainer. Sometimes the 2 bolts will be loose. Pull the stock & use an allen wrench to snug 'em up. Also, the barrel may be loose in the receiver. Sometimes the hole in the receiver is a little big. Numerous ways/tricks to remove this slop. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys. The gun will shoot eaily into a 1" group from a sandbag rest at 25 yds with the open sights (that's about the best I can see). From the same rest, with the 2 scopes that I have tried, it will put 2 or 3 in the black, then start shooting all over the place in a group about 2-3". I readjust the scope, tap it in lightly, and it repeats the same pattern. I checked the barrel to reciever fit as suggested, no slop, seems to be very solid. IT's in a Butler Creek stock, and fits tightly with the barrel not touching. Maybe I should pull a scope off of one of my centerfire rifles and try that eh? I know those scopes work OK.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

I have a simmons deerfield scope that did the same thing. It was fine for awhile then the groups started getting out of wack. Sent it back to simmons. When I got it back it was fine for awhile now it does the same thing. I know it is the scope because I tried my busnell on the same .22 and it worked fine.

I have a simmons deerfield scope that did the same thing. It was fine for awhile then the groups started getting out of wack. Sent it back to simmons. When I got it back it was fine for awhile now it does the same thing. I know it is the scope because I tried my busnell on the same .22 and it worked fine.

I would check the barrel and scope mount tightness first, then switch scopes if everything was tight. When trouble-shooting, it's best to try one "fix" at a time, so you're sure what the problem was when it's corrected.

Cheap scopes are not worth the money, I have found that as so many have now Chinese manufactured parts/entire items .

Buy Leupold scopes and Lynx(or leupold) rings and shoot with confidence I say !$$$$ :D

------------------
***Big Bunny***

I just bought a Weaver base, and Millet angle lock rings, and put an old Tasco (1970s era)on to check it out. Seems to be holding fine now. Now if I can do something with that trigger, I will look into a Leuplod or Burris, or something in the higher quailty area for a scope. Thanks for all of the replies.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

I have a 6-24X BSA Contender Target scope on my 10/22. I used a weaver base and Burris signature rings and haven't had any trouble with grouping, except for a trigger that resembles nine miles of gravel road. It hits where the cross hairs are when the shot breaks. Can't ask for anything more than that.

I really want a Volq. drop-in Ultra Match trigger assy.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

What about your ammo?

My 10/22 w/a Simmons scope shoots great. Most of the time capable of sub 2" groups at 50 meters. But, every once in a while, I'll have a flyer...maybe even off the paper!!

I chalk it up to inconsistent ammo. Of course, it is the cheap stuff (Federal $8.50/550 rds at WalMart)

I shot some Remington Thunderbolts once. Absolute garbage IMHO. Poor feed, poor extraction and poor accuracy too.

One of these days I'll treat myself to some Eley Match rds and see if it's me or the ammo.

Ragtop

I milled a set of Bausch & Lomb mounts for a Win 88 and drilled them for the Ruger holes. Then put a Balvar 8 (old but good) and used that for years until I got tired of a 2 lb scope on a 5 lb rifle so now I use a peep.

Back