Hold on to SIG SHR 970 or not

SWISS M109

I am planning on upping the ante from White Tail and Hogs in GA to Black Bear and maybe some Elk. The question comes up - do I hold on to my SIG 970, 26", in 7mm RM, or do I have to move on up? 7mm goes up to 175 gr, to my knowledge. No hand loading.
I would also upgrade the optics at the same time. Was wondering what you guys have to say about this?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0V-vpUeX5ymblRVTjR2amRURVU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
He is happy to take a fine rifle off your hands, ergo, joke.

Rather than too little rifle, for white depending on location, its probably too much.

On the other hand, you are wide open to its use.

My brother took something like 6 or 8 moose with his, I think they were all one shot.

We had a co shoot of one but it was my brother who got the shot in that allowed us to track it down.

I felt fine with it as a last ditch need to deal with a Grizzly bear.

Nothing wrong with that rifle or cartridge at all. I used to have the exact model and it accounted for a couple of elk in Co just fine. Never shot a black bear with it, but, I certainly don't see a problem there. No handloading, buy some Fed rounds using the Nosler Partition bullet. Your search ends there. You are good to go.

Thank you for that clarification. Wow, that went right over my bald head!

So - if I read correctly between the lines, not too many complaints about the SIG 970 on hand.

Well then, let's see what bounty this fall has in store!

Must say I am quite encouraged with all your responses. RC20 even mentions grizzly!
So if anything, its not he gun (nor the cal/ammo).

Back