Hogue Grip Fit on K-frame

flintlock.50

I bought a set of Hogue grips for my S&W model 19. There is a large gap between the bottom of the frame's backstrap and the grip. See the picture at this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzGjMZU4GCB8LU9fQkFKS3NmRmM/view?usp=sharing

I have a set of rubber Hogue grips that don't have any gap. Hogue says, "The gap at the bottom of the frame will be different between rubber and wood. Rubber can sit flush against your frame since it will absorb recoil. Wood, on the other-hand, needs room there to prevent cracking when fired. The wood grips are meant to have a gap at the bottom of the backstrap to accommodate the recoil."

That sort of makes sense, but the gap seems a bit excessive to me. What are others' experience with Hogue grips on a S&W revolver frame.

Thanks

The gap "could be, might be, possibly be" there to fit variances
in Smith grip frames which do have slightly different dimensions
from one time frame and another.

But the bevel where the "gap" exists is what puzzles me.

But otherwise, are the grips acceptable and do they accomplish
what is sought? If so, don't sweat it.

3/32" is ridiculous imo. I'd send them back.

Do factory S&W wood grips which cover the frontstrap and backstrap have a gap inside around the grip frame? I don't think so, but maybe they do. If so, I'd think the gun would wobble/flip inside the grips when fired, and be inaccurate as a result.

Talked with Hogue today. They said their spec is 1/16 inch and this grip fits the gun they use as their test gun. These grips fit the same way on my wife's model 15. Both our guns were purchased at the same time 40 years ago. I'm guessing frame dimensions and tolerances may have changed just enough during that time.

gap

Just checked my S&W mod 57 and there is barely a space in this area and my daughter's S&W mod 14 has no space at all.

I would demand a new set of grips.

Once again, with variances in grip frames from different time frames or
runs, a "perfect" fit may be impossible with mass produced grips like
Hogues.

In the "good old days" grips were fitted and numbered to the grip
frames for a reason. Those days are gone.

I've seen variances in Smith grips where the arch occurs, sometimes
more pronounced than other times.

In the "good old days" grips were fitted and numbered to the grip
frames for a reason. Those days are gone.

That's what I thought, and that doesn't jibe with Hogue's comment:

"Wood, on the other-hand, needs room there to prevent cracking when fired. The wood grips are meant to have a gap at the bottom of the backstrap to accommodate the recoil."

I think Hogue's explanation translates to something like, "We just let it eat so one size fits all."

Back