Hodgdon subsonic load data

308Loader

looking to load sierra 220's with CFE black. hogdons site only shows the max charge 12.1gr. so their is no start? load straight to the max charge? am I understanding this correctly? 12.1 no less, no more?

just don't want a tomb stone that says:

Here lies Lester Moor, pulled the trigger and wrecked his bore. 12.1grains of powder, no Les no more.

Last edited:
Yep. At 18,200 psi, the pressure is so low that the single powder charge is already producing far less pressure than the gun and cartridge can tolerate (55,000 psi is the SAAMI MAP for 300 BO). The maximum load value is just to keep it subsonic and not because of any pressure consideration. Note that the barrel length is 16". A longer barrel may get you into the supersonic range and a lower powder charge would then be required.

Remember, when “working up” a SUBSONIC load, you actually work DOWN. The given charge weight is a starting point.

Go DOWN from there until you get the velocity you want/need. A chrono is mandatory equip. How else do you know what velocity you are actually getting

hu, ok. I guess I was looking at it as max was like normal "do not exceed, danger" load. I noticed the pressure was super low, just needed to ask to be 100% certain. thanks guys.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Back