Hodgdon has Acquired RCBS from Vista Outdoors

Yes, I just saw this as well.

Interesting.

I think it will be good for RCBS, not so sure for H though. I am concerned as a consumer seeing all the consolidation in this sector. Why is one company (Vista) allowed to own all the major primer manufactures for example?

Or more recently it seems Hodgden will soon own every brand of gun powder.....

In previous generations, we saw the government mandated break up of "monopolies". Gas and oil, the phone company, etc. And more recently we have seen a lot of squabble over who's software goes in what product....

We've even seen some morons demanding the govt make Pepsi put a can of Coke in every six pack they sell.

No one seems upset (or more likely it just doesn't make the news) about the shooting sports companies being owned by the same holding companies/groups.

Niche market that the govt "doesn't have time for"??? Doesn't seem likely, considering the amount time and effort they put into regulating the firearms industry.

Seems to be some level of double standard at work here, but since its "only guns" its ok??

Check out the comments on Vista's divestiture in the other thread. The Czech firm trying to acquire the Vista shooting sports assets has had their offer held up by national security check requirements, so someone is paying attention. Unfortunately, an even bigger bid from a domestic investment group is now complicating things and, if accepted, is likely to lead to more price increases.

Back