Hobgood Update -- Who Hoo!

Oatka

From another board --

GRNC Update 12-7-99:

A Job Well Done

In October, a small raffle of hunting firearms at Hobgood Academy garnered national media when gun control advocates attempted to derail the raffle. "Given recent massacres in schools, I thought it would be really inappropriate for a school to be holding a gun raffle," said Lisa Price, executive director of North Carolinians "Against Gun Violence." Ironically, in the name of reducing school violence, gun control advocates like Price nearly killed a character and skill-building program by the Future Farmers of America which has the potential to avert such violence.

But the scheme backfired when Grass Roots North Carolina board member John Posthill drafted a national GRNC Alert which was ultimately picked up by the NRA, outdoor columnist and Carolina Adventure Magazine editor Fred Bonner carried the word far and wide, and donations poured into the school from as far away as Alaska.

Since then, the fact that the FFA raffle has earned thousands of dollars has commanded the attention of the Associated Press, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC, among many others. GRNC representative Jay Adams defended your rights on an MSNBC interview on Sunday (December 5). Later, Bonner did an interview with CNN and GRNC president Paul Valone interviewed with NBC affiliate WITN.
FFA Thanks You!

Yesterday was Hobgood’s first raffle. Thanks to your efforts, the FFA effort exceeded expectations by roughly 10-fold! According to FFA directors David Merit and Kim Cannon, although they expected to net $2,000, the net income from the gun raffle was over $20,000!

The FFA reports that the raffle allowed them to pay off their note on a new building and equipment, with enough left over to donate funds to the hurricane relief effort for eastern North Carolina. Better yet, Merit said letters of support for the raffle outnumbered objections by roughly 500 to 1!
Merit, Cannon, and Hobgood headmaster John Hardison all thanked GRNC and Bonner profusely for spreading the word. These are folks who understand clearly that lawful gun ownership has nothing to do with recent school tragedies. They should be commended for having the courage to stand up to the national effort to stop the raffle.

To all who helped with the effort, please accept our thanks.

GRNC President Paul Valone Again Wins Observer Column
Beginning in January, 2000, GRNC president Paul Valone will again write a monthly column for The Charlotte Observer. As in 1997 and in periodic columns since, GRNC will have a voice to combat gun control propaganda. Stay tuned for the schedule for the column and for other information.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

Happy dance and cabbage patchin!!! heehee

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Dear Anti-Gun Bigots,

Thanks very much for the immeasurable support you've given our cause. If it's not asking too much, could you please do your hysterical pee-pee dance again in the future? It would really mean a lot to The Children.

Sincerely,
Me ;)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Again, this shows the POWER we have when we set aside our differences and concentrate our UNITED efforts to save our Second Amendment, our Constitution, and our country.

Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

And if I may add, HOO YAH!

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited December 09, 1999).]

Hobgood is about 10 miles from where I live... Makes me proud. This has been a proud few weeks for a NC good old boy...

NCglocker

Good on ya NCglocker,

I'm 3000 mi away and I'm proud too. You keep that spirit alive there :)

We won a big one kids, decisively

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Sorry, Larry... that's how my twisted little brain works. :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Yeah, my girlfriend gave me a funny look over that one, but I don't care. That's right up there with LuckyDog's Happy Dog Dance on Bladeforums.
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Back