Hmmm, my S&W .41 has some kind of German stamp on it?

g6t6o

Is this normal? I haven't actually gotten to see it yet as I am still waiting to get the gun. My pops went by and checked out the gun and told me about it. If you turn the gun over it's right below the trigger guard. I bought the gun for $175 from a friend who was forced to sell it and a few others. The dealer who was selling it through my friend had a buyer lined up to buy the gun for $600, but since I had first dibs I got it! Once my pops had actually signed all the papers is when the dealer told us about the stamp and that it was a rare gun. Sorry for rambling but can anyone help me out?:D It's a S&W .41 stainless with a 6" barrel. Also has a black rubber grip:) I only got to see the gun once, I wish these 10 days would hurry up and pass!!!:D

Josh

A model 41 in stainless? Never saw one of those before and didn't know they were ever made in stainless! Are you sure it is a model 41?

Josh: This sounds pretty simple to explain. Your weapon (S&W Model 657, .41 Mag? or Model 41 .22 Long Rifle?) was once imported into Germany. It was probably purchased by a U.S. military service member while stationed there. All weapons imported into Germany are subject to import/"proof" markings being applied prior to their being released for sale from either German civilian gun shops or U.S. military sports stores ("Rod & Gun Clubs"). S&W revolvers are extremely popular among German shooters. If you look closely, you may find other "proof" marks on the cylinder, crane, barrel, or grip frame. Supposedly, the German government has highly structured safety tests and "proof" firings for all imported firearms (sort of like UL labels on electric appliances in the U.S....In reality, its just an import tariff scam...no marks (which cost and are added to the markup)...no import. Bottom line: S&W produced a good weapon and pronounced it fit to leave their plant. Then the Germans "re-verified" the safety and quality. Then you got it (Model 657?) for a VERY nice price. I own a number of different handguns with the same markings...all purchased in Germany. Enjoy.

Geez! I agree with WESHOOT2 that is probably a 657 .41 caliber. But if you do get a Model 41 .22LR then you will probably be the envy of just about every gun owner in America. That is a superb target shooting piece and very (read very, very) hard to find.

Let us know which one it turns out to be.

I have quite a few S&W revolvers with the German proof markings. I was stationed over in Germany for almost 4 years a picked up a few S&W revos when I was there.

Mine are mostly marked on the underside of the barrel and are marked with the proof house mark and the distributor. One of the big distributors in Germany is Whischo or somethiong like that. They stamp their name on the barrel also with the proof mark.

Back