HKUSP Expert or Springfield Champion?

CrociJA

Have an option of picking up a new .45 in the next few months. HK is kind of expensive, but I have heard from many that it is a great pistol.
The only real thing I have against it is that it has a polymer frame.
For some reason I have had nothing but trouble with my G-21's polymer frame.
I like the feel of the 1911 and the fact that it's a great pistol for the price, though I have heard something from people at the local range that the HK's run rings around the "Loaded" 1911's, as far as accuracy goes.
Me? I'm just looking at getting 3" shot groups with match ammo at 25 yards.
So what are your learned opinions. Cost is really secondary to a firearm that I can trust with my life under any conditions (not to flame, but I just don't care for the Glocks).
One thing I should note is that my current CCW piece is a Taurus 617. I'm looking to go to a semi and I like the slim and comfortable design of the short barreled 1911.
If I were to get a Champion, my next purchase would probably be a TRP, and than a Ceiner conversion kit.
However, I would still like any input the board could give me.

Thanks,

Jon

Champion no contest. I dislike the USP series of pistol. Too big and chunky for me. My Champion is certainly capable of the accuracy you are looking for in a gun.

I own neither an H&K Expert nor a Springfield Champion. However, I own and shoot an H&K USP Tactical and Springfield TRP. Since the Tactical -- like the Expert -- and the TRP -- like the Champion -- is toward the top end of these manufacturers' .45 ACP lines, I will offer a brief evaluation.

I have been disappointed with the H&K Tactical. It is clearly high-quality and very reliable and durable; I am sure it can meet the toughest "torture tests", not that many of us will realistically ever expose a handgun to that sustained type of treatment. Unfortunately, however, the Tactical's accuracy is clearly worse than any of my other .45 ACPs (a Sig P-220 and four 1911A1 types: a Kimber, an old Colt, and two Springfields).

On the other hand, both my Springfield Loaded and my Springfield TRP have exceeded every expectation. They, too, are high-quality and extremely reliable and durable. But they are also considerably more accurate -- at least in my hands.

IMHO, the basic Springfield Loaded -- stainless or blue -- is an outstanding .45 ACP as well as a great value. I don't doubt the H&K USP is also an excellent handgun, but I would go for a top-end Springfield -- including the Champion -- without a second thought.

One final point: Springfield may have the best warrantee policy in the business. First, it's forever and, second, they really work hard to provide lifetime customer satisfaction. While other handgun producers have similarly excellent warrantees, H&K absolutely does not. In fact -- and our TFL archives documents this -- H&K is a somewhat difficult company re defect correction.

Thanks,

I knew I had a "gut feeling" that the Champion was the one for me.
Did notice that the HK was a little "klunky". May be an old design, but I still prefer "old slab sides" in a pinch!

Jon

A couple of weeks ago I bought a SA "lightweight" Champion. It is one slick little piece. Haven't shot it much but so far so good. It's matte blue, alloy frame and 28ozs. I didn't want an all steel pistol and at 28ozs it carrys very easily. Fit and finish are excellent and the grips are pretty too. Overall, nice, nice pistol for $560 bucks. I never owned an H&K up until a few years ago. I bought a full size USP45 when they first came out. It was one of the finest 45's I've ever owned. I should have never, never sold it. I had it for about three years and not one malfunction of anykind. It was one sweet pistol. Never had to deal with H&K customer service however. My shootin' buddy bought one at the same time I did and he still has his. It's about five years old and still stone cold reliable. He got a Tac-Light for it and now it's a sweet house gun combo. Best Regards, J. Parker

I can't tell from your post whether you were looking to carry either pistol. If you are, then you probably do want to get the Expert. It's a pretty large pistol - much more so than the Springfield.

Here is another option for you:
Wilson Combat's KZ. Its a poly wrapped double stacked 1911 that is just sweet. ArmySon had one that was just very sweet that I fired... Its in about the same price range - maybe a few bucks more.
Very worth it.

Personally, I love the HK 45 Tactical I have. The accuracy of mine is at least equal to my Kimber Gold Match.
I like 45's, but am not crazy about the 1911. So, I just bought an "as new" Sig P220 Sport. This gun is all stainless steel and has all the bells and whistles you would want. It's a fun range gun with accuracy equal to my Kimber and HK. All were in the $900 price range when I purchased them. The Sig is another option for you to consider. Sincerely, Twoinchgroup.

What twoinchgroup said. I too have a USP Tactical and a Kimber Custom Classic. I had the Kimber accurized based on its performance compared to the Tactical. The "O-ring" barreled USP series are very accurate pistols, IMO.

JJCII

vodoo: I would be carrying the pistol as my new CCW piece. A replacment for the J frame I currently have.
George: Nice looking pistol, I just wish I had the guts to plonk down a fat wad of cash for another polymer frame pistol. Been there done that, maybe I can find out if someone at the local range has one.
Unfortunately most of the locals at the range are more into rifles and shotguns, the few pistols I see are 1911's, SIG's, Rugers, S&W's (pre-bargain), Tauri and once in a blue moon a H&K.
The H&K is really the only pistol I mentioned that I got a feel for, but it seems a little big for carry concealed especially in Florida.
As for ammo, .45 is what I have a taste for, other wise I would probably get a Kahr.

Thanks for all the replys!

Jon

Back