HKS speed loaders

shreder26

Inactive
hi shoters.. does anyone know the official web site of HKS speed loaders?? i am looking for a 7 round .357 loader for a S&W 686+. any help out there??
thanks

I have both the HKS and the SL Variant. The SL Variant is a better speedloader (somewhat pricey, but it's only your life :)) Dillion Precision sells them. I am not sure who else.

Vern

Other shooters have had luck with the HKS speedloaders, but I have had trouble with all six that I purchased for my 686+. The problem has been that they do not reliably drop all rounds during a reload, frequently hanging on to one or more. This also requires an extra motion to pull them up and away rather than letting them be brushed off as the cylinder closes.

I expect that the S.L Variants are probably okay, but I opted for a moonclip conversion when I saw the $30 price. The moonclip conversion costs about $80 including 3 clips and additional clips are around $28 to $30 for 10.

[Edited by Guy B. Meredith on 02-20-2001 at 12:12 AM]

To do a moonclip conversion you would contact someone like Bob Miles in Glendale, CA who produces moonclips for S&W (310-324-1858) or TK Custom at http://www.moonclips.com. TK Custom also has information on how to do the machine work, but I would personally be more inclined to work with someone like TK Custom or Bob Miles who already has proven jigs and tooling.

Once you have had the conversion you can still load rounds individually or with a speedloader. The moonclips are not needed.

My favorite, so far, is the Safariland COMP series(I or II?). The rounds are held rather rigidly, and you 'inject' them into the cylinder. It is one fluid motion. The HKS requires you to jiggle the cartridges to align them, then turn the knob to release. Sometimes you even have to wiggle the thing again to get them all to drop down.:(

Has anyone actually tried the Maxfire loader yet? Is is pliable, like the rubber Bianchi Speed Strip?

Maxfire

VictorLouis,

I have tried them, like them a lot, and yes they are pretty much a circular speed strip. Prefer moon clips though.

I just tried it out at Dillon's today.

I'm not sure they are for me. They do seem to hold the rounds rigidly; but, I lost two rounds upon 'peeling' the unit off of the cylinder. So, I bought two more Comp II models, for now.:)

Back