HK91 - More information please.......

Cheesehead

I need more help from you folks.

Does anyone know where I could find a serial number range of preban HK91's?

Also, did the preban imports have bayonet lugs or not?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Even real G3's don't have bayonet lugs, per se. The bayonet attaches to the rifle sort of upside down compared to most other rifles. There are 2 ways (that I am aware) to attach a bayonet to the HK G3/-91.

1) a bayonet adapter is inserted into the end of the cocking tube/front sight.
HKri_bayonet.jpeg

2) a bayonet with an integral adaptor is inserted. (can't find image)

Right before the ban, the price of the HK was astronomical. This was in part to the German mark's value in relation to the dollar. The rifles were going for over $1k retail and HK was pricing itself out of the market. Sales of the rifle and their then current handgun, the P7 and P7M13 really slowed down for H&K thanks to the mark's strength. Can you believe they were only about $350 around 78?

Today, we think differently and it's not uncommon to see folks fork over $1k for a preban Colt AR.

Destructo6 has it pretty well summed up on the bayonet. The earlier bayonet required the end-cap be removed and the adapted inserted. The latter was held in place by a screw and washer. The later bayonets also required the removal of the end-cap, but the bayonet fitted directly onto the cocking handle tube. It was also a meaner looking knife.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back