HK VPZ70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oberkommando

I was wondering what Hk nine was highest capacity model, have heard that one held 18-19 in the mag? Was this called vpz? What is price of these older guns and price of mags? Are they decent guns?

oberkommando,

Check out the following website for some general info on the VP70.

www.unsuave.com/~hkpro/VP70.htm

I have a VP70Z which I bought out of a private collection a few months ago. It was
new-in-the-box, unfired except for the factory test firing, and it was made in 1979. I paid $650 for it, it came with two magazines. The guy I bought it from is a dealer and also a HK collector. He had extra magazines for sale at $120 each, new. They
are 18 rounders. I found two slightly used (98%) mags at a gun store in Okla. City a while back for $45 each. I scarfed 'em up on the spot. I bought the pistol mainly for its collectability but I couldn't resit firing it so I put about fifty rounds through it. It is pretty accurate but the heavy DAO trigger pull, over twenty pounds I was told,
is tiring for me and not too much fun. I will keep the pistol in my collection as a novelty and probably won't shoot it much.
The pistol has a matte green finished slide,
a black polymer frame and polished blue/black steel magazines, quite a combination.

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited October 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited October 30, 1999).]

The VP70 was the "first" polymer frame handgun (not the Glock). They were very well made, but had a rather heavy trigger as mentioned above. That, and the unique design, prevented it from becoming to popular and hurt the sales.
There is a full auto version that utilizes a buttstock. It also is unique by the fact the the full auto mechanics are installed in the buttstock. So without the stock you have a
semi-auto pistol, attach the stock and you have a nice little machine pistol!

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

Actually, the VP70 was made in a European version and an American version, the former of which which had a buttstock as an accessory that, when attached, made the weapon capable of shooting "full-auto" 3-shot bursts. The American version (VP70Z) was semiautomatic only, and had no provision for a buttstock. As noted by others, it was the first polymer-framed semiautomatic pistol, but never sold well in this country, probably mostly due to its long, hard, difficult-to-control trigger, but also because it isn't especially easy to carry concealed; It's a bit "chunky". It had some minor service with some European "special-ops" forces, I believe. The American VP70Z is not too hard to find in used examples. Historically, it's an interesting pistol.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

From what I have seen of the GunsAmerica site and a couple of the advertisers, I would be real careful dealing with some of the ads there!!!

They are listing the HK P7M8 German trade-in pistols as having a factory lifetime warranty. This is untrue. There is NO warranty from HK on these pistols.

Another lists the same pistols as New Jersey State Police trade-ins. The pic attached shows one of the German trade-ins with the milling mark on the right of the slide and the red re-finish job. And they want $800 for these.

Be careful.

------------------
"New Jersey... The First Communist State in The Union"

Jim

www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/3887/home.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back