HK USP45 Tactical???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk21

Inactive
I have recently read many articles and want some feedback, before I purchase one? What is a good price new and used??? Any negatives+ Positive?

1. It's an HK.
2. It is a .45
3. It is a smaller version of the SOCOM pistol.
4. ALL THE ABOVE

Cons?

------------------
"We learn from history that we learn nothing from history."

-- George Bernard Shaw

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Dirk21-

I recently purchased a new HK Tactical for $750.00. With the pistol comes a carrying case, two mags, cleaning kit, a sight tool and extra O-Rings. It's a really nice package.

I only have two hundred rounds through it so far and have not experienced any malfunctions.

Pros:
1) It is very accurate

2) Single action trigger pull is great

3) The sights are good and adjustable (wish they had a bar and dot set-up)

4) Felt recoil definately reduced

5) Rated for +P ammunition

Cons:
1) Double action trigger pull not so great, but improving with break-in

2) High profile sights snag easily

Currently the gun is being auditioned for the role of my bedside/house gun. So far it seems to be a great pistol.

Dirk21, I have the SOCOM and the regular .45 USP for .45 SUPER.

The grip radius (diameter from trigger to grip were the web of your hand goes) compared to other pistols is a little small for large hands.

If you can, go rent one at a range first before buying. They're great, but maybe not for you.

Why do you want the Tactical? Have you considered the "Expert"?

For general use, target shooting and, competitions, the EXPERT seems to be the clear pick of the litter. How many of us need a threaded barrel anyway?

Checkout http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/ for the details.
uspexpert_lg.jpg

Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited August 29, 1999).]

Sid

You have a point. If the Expert were available at the time I bought my Tactical I'm sure I would have picked the Expert.

From recent magazine reviews it would seem the Expert has an edge in the accuracy department. The Expert's sight radius is a definite plus. And I have yet to see any accesories made for the threaded barrel on the Tactical.

Well, maybe I'll be trading my Tactical in on an Expert.

The expert USP, was a high cap magazine made pre-ban? If so, how much should I expect to pay? Available in 9mm? Thanks to everyone for helping me choose my next addition! I currently own a Glock 19, 26, Berreta 92FS, Browning BDM, Old Nazi Proof FN with wooden holster that serves as a slide in stock, All these are nice but, I'm still looking for that great shooter out of the box!

Dirk21-
I believe both the Expert and Tactical models are both post-ban designs. High capacity in terms of the USP 45 variants is 12 rounds versus the post-ban 10 rounds.

David-
Thanks for the reference to Capital City. Maybe I'll find a use for the barrel threads after all. The flash suppressor might double as a compensator when firing 45 Super.

My advice, stay far away from those 12 round 45ACP UPS mags. Beside being $160 a piece, not a single one was made before the mag ban that did not go to the military. According to HK, 100% of the hi-cap 45ACP mags are contraband, stolen U.S. Gov't property. You and you lawyer may win this battle if it ever goes to court but, it will make those $160 dollar mags real expensive.

With regards to the EXPERT, it is basically a 45ACP IDPA gun like those Glocks. Had I not stumbled into a MK-23/SOCCOM at an attractive price, I would own one of those now. I have seen very little of the developement lavished on the 45ACP variants flow down to the 9mm/40S&W. I think it is a numbers thing (and a lack of hi-cap mags in general circulation, after all who really wants a 10 shot double stack 9mm HK when you can buy SIG P226 mags for $40 which is what the post-ban 10 round HK mags run), 9mm/40S&W HK USP are slow sellers, especially in the U.S., home of the 45ACP, and there is always the good fortune that follows with the adoption of the SOCCOM/MK-23 by the U.S. Special Forces guys.

Sid

[This message has been edited by Sid Post (edited August 30, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back