HK USP- Which One to Buy?

dmc235

Inactive
I hope to pick up either a .40 USP Fullsize Stainless or USP Compact Stainless before Christmas. Went shopping after work and found the 9mm SS for about $550, but no .40... Found the fullsize .40 but no stainless!! Just my luck!

I have a SW99 .40 that I'm very happy with, but I just don't know if I want something larger or smaller!!!

I have smaller hands, so the Compact feels a little better, but the SW99 is already doing the Compact's job. There is just fractions of an inch difference in size between the SW99, USP, and USPC, so it really comes down to something else.

Can anyone give me any comments on which to buy?

Also, has anyone purchased "off the web" from an individual selling a pistol? Somewhere like gunbroker.com, or an individual on thefiringline.com forums... I worry about the pistol not being reliable, or even getting it at all! I'm sure there are very fine individuals out there, but I just don't want to get ripped off. Can someone tell me exactly how this works, step-by-step???

this is how it works. you go to an
established gunshop with a good business
reputation and purchase the firearm that
you want. if the firearm has a defect
the weapon can be shipped by the dealer
for repair. you have greater protection.
if you want to take a risk and possibly
by a lemon and have no recourse then
buy a weapon from a stranger. will you
be able to ship it to the manufacturer?
how long is the turn around time and how
much will it cost when you buy this lemon? i hope you learn from my mistakes.
i buy strictly from an established gun
dealer after learning the taste of lemon.

I haven't tasted lemon, but I found a .40 USP compact for $495 on the net. That was the good news ... Unfortunately, the "dealer" never returned my calls, never contacted my local FFL and never shipped my USP40C. 3 weeks after faxing in my order, I finally checked with my credit card and found that no charges had been submitted. I just cancelled my credit card and drove down the street at lunch and bought a HE version of the .40 Compact for a LOT more money. But, this way I know what I'm getting for Christmas. My opinion is that lemon is only marginally worse than the taste of nothing! If you deal with a reputable on-line merchant (I've had two great experiences with AIM Surplus), I think it's almost the same.
Hope this helps ... Oh, which one? If you aren't L.E., the fullsize and the Compact are pretty similar ... you still get 10 in the mag.

When I get another USP, and I will...
As the USP line up stands right now, I will get a Variant 3 Compact .45ACP.

If they come out with a Sub Compact or something - I will reconsider.

Of course my Standing Order include getting a SOCOM model the first chance I get - not quite a regular USP, but close enough to mention here.
Is the SOCOM viable for IDPA? ;)

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited December 09, 1999).]

Done!

I have a USP 40 Stainless under the tree!!

I hope it plays well with my SW99 40.

Santa was good to me this year ;-)

WHICH ONE TO BUY.....GOOD QUESTION.

MY CHOICE HAS BEEN THE COMPACT .40. YOU SACRIFICE NOTHING IN RDS. AS COMPARED TO THE FULL SIZE USP AND YOU GET A SOMEWHAT SMALLER, NEATER PACKAGE. THE ONLY INTERNAL DIFFERENCE, CORRECT ME ANYONE PLEASE IF I'M WRONG, IS THE RECOIL REDUCTION SYSTEM. DUE TO THE SHORTNESS OF THE GUIDE ROD AND SPRING MECHANISM IN THE COMPACT A DUAL SPRING SYSTEM IS NOT USED. A NYLON (POLYMER?) BUSHING IS USED INSTEAD. RECOIL, HOWEVER; IS NOT PUNISHING EVEN WHEN USING HIGH END CRAP-BON (I MEAN COR-BON) LOADS OR PROLOAD OR GOLD DOT.

IF YOUR CONCERN IS CONCEALMENT AS IS MINE THEN THE COMPACT WILL NOT FAIL YOU. THE ONLY THING I WOULD ADD IS THAT I HAVE VERY LARGE HANDS AND FIND THAT MY GRIP IS COMFORTABLE ONLY WHEN USING THE EXTENDED FLOORPLATE MAGS WITH THE SPOT FOR THE THIRD FINGER. THE USP IS AN EXCELLENT, DURABLE AND EXTREMELY ACCURATE WEAPON.

Congrats on your new USP 40 Stainless. Just wanted to add this to the thread, since you decided -- or it was decided for you (since it's a Christmas Gift) -- on which USP to choose. I have a USP 40 and have found that the best way to conceal the thing is to carry it in a SOB - style holster. The one that I have and also recommend is the SOB Concealex model from Blade-Tech.

I've carried this full-sized pistol in such a way, with only a polo shirt, an undershirt, and shorts on, and after a few hours visiting some of my friends I asked if they noticed and they had no idea.

Merry Christmas and hopefully such a holster can be a stocking stuffer!

Thanks For Your Time,

John Coleman

DMC235,
I don't have a USP yet. My problem is trying to figure out if I want the USP 9mm fullsize, or a SW99. What do you like better the USP or the 99? Have you had any trouble with the 99?

X-Kill, your right on the money. The full size USP has a different recoil reduction system than the Compact USP. I own the Compact and my bro has the Full size version. The USP might not be the best looking handgun but one of the most reliable and versatile.

I have the SW99 .40 and like it very much, i have not had a chance to handle the USP but know HK makes a very nice gun, I am looking for a good holster so if you dont have one you should start looking now so it may be a stocking stuffer. congrats on your gun.

SGB and Gunrunner,

I have the .40 SW99 and I have had a few problems. Specifically with "less than premium" ammo. Winclean, UMC, and some other brand of "target junk" have caused about 10 fail-to-feed/jams against the front lip of the mag out of about 350 rds. I am in the process of seeing if it follows one mag or the other. At first I thought it was the magazine not keeping the rounds "seated back".

I wouldn't call it bad, it has never has a problem with Hydra-Shoks, Golden Sabres, etc.

The pistol is *very* accurate. I haven't had a chance to fire the HK yet, so I can't compare the two.

i bought a used h&k compact .40 with nite sites for $450. this was the best $450 bucks i ever spent! perfect size, perfect caliber, great price. life is good

If this is not going to be a full time carry gun (it seems the SW99 fills that bill) I would take a look at the HK45 Tactical. High end but very accurate and lots of advantageous bells and whistles.

I gave in, and after hearing the news about Colt, bought a USP9 to join my Sigs, P232 .380 and P239 .357Sig.

I shot this full size a few weeks ago, and even though I have small hands, I fell in love with the way this beauty shoots. Great recoil, smooth trigger, and remarkable accurate. (It's also nasty looking, FWIW.)

I got it for $550 NIB with 2 15-rnd mags.

I don't even mind the plastic!

I'm sorry Colt may be buying H&K, but who knows, maybe enough people will join the ranks of shooters and we will be done with all of this silliness against guns.

In the meantime, I'm collecting these wonderful machines.

Roon

Back