HK USP vs. Tactical

utvols

As some of you know my USP .45 was stolen about a week ago and I am now in the market to replace it. My question, is it worth the extra $100 or so for the Tactical. Whats better whats not?

I like the adjustable sight on the tactical. It's much better then the fixed sight on the USP. In addition, the threaded barrel provides you with flexibility if you ever decide to get a silencer. The rubber o-rings are also an ingenious idea. Many naysayers moan about the 'short' life expectancy of the rubber o-rings. Yet, they'll last past 30,000 rounds. H&K also provide you with a spare so that's 60,000 rounds. Replacement rings are relatively inexpensive. Another feature of the Tactical is the adjustable trigger. Straight out of the box, the trigger on Tactical was just fine so I didn't mess with the over-travel at all.

Lastly, you get a nice case with the Tactical and a cleaning kit compared to a plastic box with the USP. Either way, the H&K lineup is outstanding.

Here's my Tactical and Expert:

View

I would say go with the Tactical for the reasons that ArmySon mentioned, mainly the match trigger, threaded-oringed bbl, etc... ESPECIALLY if its only a hundred more.

I do NOT like the adjustable sights, however. Would replace with good fixed Meprolights or Trijicons IMO unless you plan on using a can where you will need the higher front sight.

Son, did your Tactical come with that baseplate? I prefer the extended one...

Volunteer,

I've shot both, and at 25ft or less, they both produced one ragged hole. In all honesty, I shot the standard USPF slightly better (hardly noticeable) because it had better sights (Just my opinion.) I am putting the money together right now to buy a USP, and I've decided on the USPF 45 SS, then I'll buy a threaded O-ring barrel from Larry at CCF. I'll end up spending more than a Tac, but I'll have it in Stainless and an extra barrel.

J. Wise

I had a CCF Tactical bbl for my USP .45 and it (IMO) shot significantly better than my stock HK bbl.

If I had to choose between the Tactical and the Expert, I would probably go for the Tactical unless I really had the extra money for the Expert. My USP with a tactical bbl in it was more accurate than I was, so the Expert might not be more accurate in my hands... Plus, you can get goodies like a flash suppressor or sound suppressor for the Tactical :D

I'm sure Son, having both, can give you a much better answer on the ins and outs of them...

"So, if you had a choice between Tactical or an Expert, which would you choose?"

It all depends on what your priorities are with the gun. I got the tactical for the sole purpose of using a silencer. Otherwise, I like the Expert better as a range gun. Without the silencer, the front sight blade is WAY too big on the Tactical.

The Tactical trigger is worth a $100 over a standard USP full size. I also throw in with the Tactical..it's my favorite gun.

I would get the Tactical.
I don't like the adjustable sights and would
get something "low profile that glows in the dark."
Otherwise It is a great pistol.

im a HK NUT!
GET THE TACTICAL, GET IT YOU WONT REGRET IT.
its so accurate, one guy can hit bulleseyes(not shure of grouping) at 50yrds one handed. Wow, just get the tactial, you will be glad you did

I'm impressed that you can find a tactical that's only a $100 over the USP. I recently bought my wife a stainless USP 45 full size version for almost $200 LESS than the same gun at other shops...Shyda's in Lebanon, PA.

Anyway, I've had my USP for almost a year and love it. I had the op to shoot a tactical one time...it was a VERY hammered gun, but still shot very well. I agree with another note that I prefer the fixed to the adjustable sights. The fixed sights right out of the box were right on at 25 yds. Either way you can't go wrong with a H&K!

Good Hunting!

subject:

I just can't help myself sometimes...........
As much as I love the Tac,Expert USP et al..
If you have the scratch just buy the MK23...
It is the epitome/best of modern HK pistoles...
My P7 is more accurate but I shoot the MK23 better.
My HK pistole list would be:
1. MK23
2. P7
3. Tactical
4. Expert
5. USP

They are all more accurate than 99% of us could ever
realize...........

Get the MK23 while you can...

I shot both back to back a little while ago. I shot the standard 45 much better than the tactical, but I think it's just that those tall front sights probably take some getting used to. The DA pull on either is looooooong. But, if you can really find them for only $100 more, I'd get the tactical. Probably for no better reason than it looks cooler. I might buy a suppressor, but the price plus tax makes the can prohibitive, just what the tax was intended to do. Dang, now I just realized I HAVE to buy one.

Back