HK USP Tactical .45

Jarhead_22

I found a deal too good to pass up on a USP Tactical at my local gun shop/range the other day. I got the pistol, in about 99.6965% condition, in the slick HK nylon case, with three magazines, the cleaning kit, the lock AND THE UTL for a little less than a grand. I had to have it. Pardon me while I do my "I got a smokin' deal" dance...

And now, a few questions:

1. Who makes a supressor for it? Knights? The one for the SOCCOM pistol does not fit.

2. Who makes a holster for it? I'm thinking probably a kydex belt holster, maybe a drop-leg tac holster that will fit it with the light attached.

3. Why does the safety/decocking lever bash me in the thumb joint everytime I pull the trigger? Is it located in a different place than the thumb safety on the 1911? I shoot with my thumb over it, to avoid putting the safety on when the weapon recoils. Ouch, but I can live with it if I have to.

Jarhead out.
-------------------

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
--Thucydides

Jar,

You are correct in that the Mark23 has different threads than the Tactical (they're left-hand I think). Try http://www.calssportingarmory.com/default.htm They have cool stuff for HK's.

For a Tactical Kydex that holds the UTL, there's none better (IMHO) than http://www.blade-tech.com . Check out the Tech-Gear holster. It is made to fit the HK with UTL attached. But not only would you get the thigh plate with a thumb break on the holster (making it a Level II retension holster) for "drop leg" carry, but also included will be a tek-lock (universal belt clip attachment)and paddle attachment. Can't beat a 3 in 1 kydex for $124.95!!!

Your last question... I have NO idea. I haven't had that problem with mine, but I also put my thumb over the safety. Gotta be careful though... if you accidentally pull down the lever, to the decock position, even a little, the gun WILL NOT FIRE!! I've only had it happen once, and I was pulling down on purpose to see what I would foul up.

Congrats on such a SWEET PURCHASE!!!

Jar,
You did good buying a Tactical. It's the last gun I'll ever let go of...I don't know if I can see a notable difference when I use the suppressor...(got it and a thread protector too...later)...I was led to believe by the manuf. that the groups improve 30%...I must not be man enough to get the job done...but the looks you get at the range ALMOST make the suppressor purchase worth the money.
It's also my son's favorite gun. He's 15 and loves to shoot it.
Regarding the control lever hitting your thumb...well, I had an ambi. control lever installed by H&K and I love it and have not noticed it being in my way.
Good luck, shoot safe.

Calssportingarmory.com does have the thread protector, but not the supressor. Where did you get yours, VonFatman? I mean, there's a little pouch in the case for it, so I HAVE to have it, right? Can I get an amen from the congregation?

Jarhead out.

Jarhead,
Give JT's Guns a call at (570)646-4764. He has them for the Tactical a couple of us bought them. Good guy to deal with.

No, you're mistaken. That pouch is for a silencer, and that's what you need to have. Why not spend almost as much in tax as you did on your gun! Ugh.

I have a Gemtech SOS 45 suppressor for my Socom. The same suppressor is available for the tatical. The only difference it that the Socom is right hand threads and the Tactical has left hand threads. Also some tacticals will not cycle properly with a suppressor as they were not originally designed for them. My Nephew has this suppressor on his tactical and it functions great. The Gemtech is a quality unit that is a lot less expensive than the Knight. If I remember right it was around $600 plus the $200 transfer tax.

Ditto on the CCFA suppressor. Heard great things about them.

Also heard good things about safariland holsters...

Might want to check on the forum at hkpro.com before making any expensive decisions. I have heard both of the aforementioned products mentioned in high regard there.

How do you like the Tactical

How do you Tactical owners like this gun? A local shop has a demo model for around $725. Is this a good deal and is this .45 worth the price of admition? For that money I can get a nice Springfield or Kimber 1911.

Pilot

I can't speak for pricing in different regions on the country...prices really vary a lot.
I really love the gun. It's my very favorite of any caliber. I bought mine in Sept or Oct. of 2000 and paid a KC dealer $850.00 n.i.b. The dealer ordered it in and it came with the usual case etc. I have since sent it to H&K for an ambid. control lever installation. I also had them put nite-sights on the gun while it was in their shop. H&K customer service is FANTASTIC (at least that has been my experience) I also have a ordered a thread protector and flash suppressor (sp?) from CCFA.

That Gemtech sound supressor looks great, and so does the vortex flash supressor from ccfa. Ah, I just love a new pistol: all the opportunities for trying out new and different holsters, pouches, and other accessories for it.

Speaking of which, would anyone who has a USP Tactical and a holster for it give me a recommendation? What are you carrying yours in? A lot of makers produce one for the USP 45, but not one with the bigger sight channel to accomodate the taller front sight of the Tactical.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Jarhead out.

------------------
”When they kick at your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?”
--The Clash, “The Guns of Brixton”

Back