HK USP in 10mm?

Birch

I remember reading a post about someone converting a USP 40 to 10mm...

Please tell me that I wasn't just dreaming!!!

Maybe a 40S&W slide with a 10mm custom barrel on a 45 frame. What would you use for magazine? 45 with modified follower/feedlips?

I thought it was just a reammed 40bbl in a full size USP by someone in Alaska...

I must be nuts!

I think the overall cartridge length would be too big for the 9mm/.40SW frame. You would have to move up to the .45ACP frame that BB mentioned.

Maybe it was a USP45 rebarreled for 10mm and a modified mag. Not sure if a USP40 slide would fit the USP45 frame.

They don't fit

The USP40/9 slides are different enough that you can't put them on a USP45. I've tried. They're close, just not close enough. The .45 frame is just a little too long and wide. Maybe the feed lips on the .45 were squeezed together a little to allow the 10mm to feed. I've heard rumors of this before too, but no one seems to know how it was done, if it really was.

.50AE from Alaska did it.

He did it on .40 USP. Reamed out the bbl, opened up the ejection port (elongated), and used Para (P16) mags. He also swapped the mag release for the one from .45 USP because of the metal mags. The slot for mag release needed to be cut in the middle of the Para mag bodies (take out the mag release, and use the grip as a template). He claimes that it works great. He quoted the maximum OAL cartridge length you could use, not sure how close it was to factory specs. I am betting at least 135 grainers would work without having to load your own. This guy was known on Shooters for liking to spice up the loads. So since he is still typing, I am guessing his USP is holding up well.

Of course you could do the same thing with 9X23 in 9mm gun.

I almost bought stainless USP .40 (no refinish needed after opening up the ejection port), just to try that. You can even use Olyarms bbl ($100) and ream it out, so that conversion is not permanent. Couldn't justify it, because you can do reverse with G-20/29 by just swapping for the .40 conversion bbl, no extra work/magazines involved.

Personally, I would just go for a 40 Super, but just IMO.
10mm is a great round and all but if I needed more than a 45 (or 45 Super), I might look a bit further than 10mm. Unless, of course, you have good access to cheap 10mm or it's one of those just-gotta-haves.

Don't do it. The 10mm case has different dimensions. Buy a Glock 20 and be happy. It is the most widely used 10mm.

If it wasn't built as a 10mm, don't mess with it. All of these conversions are risky unless you're going .22lr.

When you look at just Glock's safety margins when they design their guns. The Supers have an even greater kaboom risk that the 40 SW.

All of these .357 SIG, 45Super and 40Super necked down conversions may look neat ballistcially but (a) where are you going to get those cartridges; and (b) will you have reliable feeding from magazines like straight wall pistol cases. I don't think so.

Now you have an excuse to buy another gun. I considered the idea myself and ended up buying a G20.

H&K 10mm-Yep!

A question for jtDuncan? Which dimentions are so different aside from the obvious length? I bought one of 50ae's neat little toys, it's works perfectly for me. The earlier posting by the glock gentleman covers it pretty well. I never could get used to the Glock grip angle, so the HK works for me..Roy

Pictures?

Sorry, don't have the tools for posting pictures. There's not much so see, it's an H&K USP-.40 that's been rechambered and the slide port opened to accomadate the 10mm. Most everything is internal, Roy

Alaska Roy....

Who do I contact to do a 10mm HK USP??? I'm very interested! Email me off list if you wish.

Thanks!

Birch

Back