HK USP 9mm question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

I borrowed a friend's HK USP 9mm, to shoot alongside my Walther P99. He said that the HK USP can be converted to .40S&W by simply replacing the barrel, spring and magazine. Is this true?
If so, can such an "operation" be done on my Walther P99 9mm?
On a side note, I really liked the way the HK USP shot. Very smooth trigger pull (vs. long trigger pull on my P99, light all the way down to the end, where it gets fairly heavy just before firing). Felt-recoil was also less than with my P99 (probably due to weight). The stock USP sights seemed easier to use than on my stock P99 sights. However, the grip on my P99 is far superior to the USP grip, which felt unnatural compared to the P99.
The one thing that felt really cheap on the USP was the safety...not very smooth at all. One thing that the P99 lacks is a manual safety. Perhaps because of this, they made the trigger a bit heavy.
Both seemed to shoot equally accurate... maybe a slight edge for the USP.
Field-stripping was much easier on the Walther.

You have to change the slide. The breechface dimensions aren't the same. You might be able to get away with converting a .40 USP to 9mm. You can do that in Glocks, but you can't go the other way.

Arizona moragan is correct the .40 S&W can be switched out to fire 9mm in the USP with only a barrel change. I have also heard once the 9mm can be used out of the .40 S&W mags. I am not sure how true this is.

Colt 38-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back