HK USP 9C or Sig P228 or something better

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

"BMC, ANOTHER topic?!" Well pros, you can tell I'm full of questions. I don't want to start a fight between HK and Sig owners but I am really interested in these two guns for concealed carry. Or is there something better out there.
Please no Glocks! Before you get mad let me say that I own a G26 and would like to try other brands as well.
I have a HK USP .40 and have fired a friends' Sig P226. Both are sooo cool.
Comments please. Educate the ignorant.
Thanks pros!

BMC,

You really can't go wrong with an HK Compact or one of those Sig compacts. We are talking about two fine weapons here. HK isn't better than Sig and Sig isn't better than HK...it's the shooter that counts.

Here is how you should decide between an HK compact or Sig compact.

1. Go to your local gun store and pick up both weapons. Decide which of the two fits your hand the best.

2. Work the functions of the weapon and decide which of the two you can operate the best. For example, find out which weapon's magazine release you think works the best for you...or which of the weapon's trigger feels "natural" to you.

3. Pick the weapon that fits your hand the best and operates naturally in your hand.

I picked the HK compact over the Sig compact...but I shouldn't say which one I like better because what fits my hand, may not work well with your hand. The HK fits my hand like a glove...the decocker, saftey, and mag release operates like it was designed for my hand. I also needed the hammer to be shaved. No comparison for me.

Good luck on your search.

Ditto for what Unicron said. When it came time for me to purchase I narrowed the selection down to the Sig and the HK USP-C.

I laid both side by side, picked them up, put them down, worked the safety and slide release and walked out the door with HK.

It fit me like a glove.

That was about 2 years ago and I have never regreted it for a second.

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

I would vote for the HK Compact USP for concealed carry vs. the Sig. Given the environment of concealed carry, I feel that the HK will be less finicky to dirt, dust, etc. and the polymer frame and HK finish will be more rust/stain resistant. But the bottom line is the same as the above posts - which gun feels better in your hand? That is the most important...

Just so everone is not for one gun I carry a sig.I think it fits me a little better and I like the controls better.Both are fine guns so its just a personal thing.
Bob

I agree. I have been looking to buy 1 of 3 guns. Beretta centurion,sig 2340,HK compact.

I have been tossing the three ideas around and still have yet to come to a conclusion. I think they all are fantastic guns, but which one do i really want ? I dont know yet but i can tell ya this.

1)Beretta centurions are hard to find. so ive pretty much given up on that.

2)the HK is great in every way. the only think i dont like is the safety. I dont wanna have to think about a safety if i am in a life or death situation.

3)sig seems to be the final choice. The only thing i dont like is the less expensive ones seem a bit too small for my hands. The 2340 sig pro is cool but i found it to be unperfected as of yet. the 220 is great but expensive. same goes for the 226.

Where do i go from here ?

I continue debating until i figure out the best for me. Which is what i recommend you do !

Be careful. dont buy unless you know its what you want. Give yourself at least 2 weeks to try em out if possible. go to every gun shop and feel them all up until you wear out the finishes !

P.S Have you given the hellglock any thought http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jinman/hellglock.jpg

------------------
TIM : )

HK & SIG the two "HEAVIES" in the modern small arms industry...

You cannot lose with either!

I prefer the SIG SAUER for pistols. I regularly carry a P239 back home in South Texas. I have carried it sense 1997 with no problems! The environment in S. TEXAS is very HUMID in the summer and fall, and I have had ZERO rust or corrosion problems with my SIG! I like that the SIG is very easy to operate and virtually idiot proof. There are no manual safeties and the weapon fits like a glove! (especially with HOGUE aftermarket grips). I find the HK USPs to be very bulky and the ergonomics are bad in my average size hands. The full size USP .45 is a MONSTER! I think that the SIG P226 and P220-(my fav sig!) are too big for concealed carry. Both are DUTY SIZE HANDGUNs and made for OPEN carry IMHO.
If the P239 or any other sub-compact SIG is to "small" for your hands check out the P228 or P229, both are double stack compacts with larger (thicker) grips, and they can be easily concealed...

I think HK makes great weapons also, there ASSAULT RIFLES (i.e G3/91 new G36) and SUB GUNs (i.e. MP5 family) are the world leaders IMHO. For concealed carry though my only option would be the "PRICEY$" P7. I just don't like the USPs... I shoot and operate my SIGs MUCH better!

P.S. I am by no means an "expert," and my testimony is based soley on personal experience!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Get one of those brand new commemorative quarters, choose one side for one gun, the other for the other. Flip into the air with a minimum of three spins and allow to land onto a flat floor. Examine the side facing up, relate it to the gun chosen for that side, and buy accordingly.

- Ron V.

------------------

Both are top autos. As stated, you need to handle both and buy the one that fits you best.

I bought the HK USP 9C over the Sig because of the safety feature and handling. When you're talking about this quality of a gun, it's all about personal preferences.

Let us know what you end up buying, and why.

David

BMC,

The ONLY way you could find something "better" than a 228 is MAYBE one of the other SIGS. The closest one by far to the 228 is the 225. Unless you can find preban magazines for the 228, the 225 is only 2 rounds short of current production. Most people think it feels better in the hand than the 228, although it usually fits like a glove too. I guess the reason being a slightly slimmer grip. It points like a finger for most. I shot 1" 30yd groups off of a picnic table the other week with one that had the trigger slicked up to optimum, (feel free to contact for info) [EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net[/url]. Other than that, no accuracy work done. 228 Is great too! Can't speak about H&K from experience shooting. I've seen them though. It would be nice if you can find them in a gun shop or a friend that would let you try em out at the range. I think that you'll find the 228 shoots just like the 226 you shot. Only a little slimmer grip according to my recollection. I would do a search on these two choices (HK & SIG) and see what folks say. I've got biases too ya know. ;) Then add some salt and come to your own conclusions.

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Thank you sooo much to all you fine professionals out there. I will probably make my final decision when I come up with the money (some jerk owes me big time) to buy either one of these firearms next month.
Promise to keep you informed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back