HK USP .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptpalpha

My buddy just bought his first pistol, the USP in .45. He's watched me customize my 1911 over the past two years, and now seems to be bummed that he can't find anything to do to his HK! Is it the perfect pistola, or are there mod's I can turn him on to.

Greetings; the H&K USP is condidered one of
the top choice's in today's market. A variant
1 seems to be the way to go; cause you can
carry "cocked & locked", fire double action,
and the safety also serves as a decocker.
I own one of the H&K USP full size (standard)
variant 1, and dearly love it. Perhaps, not
as much as my Sig-Sauer P220A, however? I can't see any modifications that are in order
to improve the H&K; unless you add a tactical
flashlight, and only if you were a member of
a LE entry team?

------------------
Ala Dan

I like the USP 9/40 better than my USP 45, because they fit my hand better. I consider the USP9/40 to be a large gun, and the USP 45 seems to me a little too big.
I'm considering turning it in for a Sig.
As far as mods, there are aftermarket compensated and uncompensated barrels of various lengths in 45ACP as well as 400 CorBon, different springs, laser lights, flashlights, night sights and target adjustable sights, refinishings, trigger jobs, and even a barrel from the USP Tactical with the threaded barrels.

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited September 24, 1999).]

UH, actually I just got the UTL and find it is perfect for checking out those little noises that happen in the night. It doesn't hurt that it adds a bit of weight to the front end of the piece. Easy to mount/dismount/maintain and a lot better than my former method of using a large Maglite to do the same thing. YMMV

thanks guys, I'll let him know. And as soon as he gets his new computer, he can join the forum and ask you himself!! Now you've got me considering trading my custom 1911 for one of them thar newfangled HK's!

Well, considering the 1911 is a 90+ year old design vs the USP, a considerably more contemporary design (maybe 10 years old?), it's like running a current Cadillac STS vs a vintage Caddy, of say, 1919. Hot rodding older cars is a lot easier (and different) than hot rodding the new, hi-tech vehicles on the road today.

I have a USP45C, and I bought it for the same reason I bought a BMW - It's ready to go right out of the box. As with the Bimmer, you can upgrade the springs for heavier loads or specific duty in competitive events, add lights(/sights) for night work, add other 'personal' touches, but basically, you're paying a premium for something that offers comtemporary/high technology and is pretty well tuned and sorted out to begin.

Sorry for the goofy car analogies, but clearly, if you like to tinker and tune, the older equipment offers more opportunity for 'improvement' and personalization, but that's the state of the art, then vs now, not to mention design tempered by product liability considerations and 'regulations' that didn't even exist in 1911.
M2

Actually, HK sells a Match conversion (or used to) to convert the UPS to UPS Match. But I heard there was problem so now the USP Match is factory option and sold as the HK USP Match pistol (about $799 with muzzle weight and compensator).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back