HK USP .45 vs SIG P220

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

This is strictly an accuracy question.
Out of the box, would you say that the SIG P220 has better accuracy than the HK USP .45 full size?

Quickad,

HK USP vs Sig P220 for accuracy? Personally, I can't imagine another out of the box .45 being any more accurate than the Sig P220.

I've fired the USP in 9, 40 and .45 and while these were all excellently accurate, I don't believe they are superior to any Sig.

There have been some tests of Sig's P220 from a ransom rest where the P220 fired a five round 7/8" group at 25yds. (I can site the article if you want me to research it).

The above test appeared in a popular gun rag as well as Sig's own excellent, albeit biased publication. I have no doubt that at a given time, temp., elevation, comparable load that the HK could duplicate this level of accuracy; however, I doubt the USP could surpass this.

Since both the SIG and USP are capable of putting a mag into a 3x5" note card offhand at 25 yds. they are both perfectly acceptable for defensive purposes. Any measure of accuracy beyond this is purely academic for defensive weapons such as these.

I would have to agree with the Desert Rat, on
this issue. Sig's are surperbly accurate, right out of the box !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

thequickad -

Ditto the above, with one minor note. Any useful accuracy measurement is affected by the comfort of the gun in your hand. Since both the SIG and the HK are equally accurate mechanically, out of the box, which feels better in your hand? The one that fits better will shoot better for you! This thus becomes the most important accuracy measurement, IMHO.

------------------
Freedom is not Free

tqa:

I agree with the other posters...both weapons are superbly accurate, right out of the box. Whatever their intrinsic accuracy potential may be is purely academic (sorta mental masturbation)...it just don't matter.

What matters is what ATM stated: the real test is how accurate the weapon is when fired from your two little hands while standing up on your hind legs.

Mike

Hello all. Yes, the SIG-Sauer P220 has more intrinsic accuracy than any USP I've fired. While I suspect the USP will last longer, I prefer the P220 for feel and size. I've not tried any of the later P220s, but mine and others from a very few years back do seem to have better single-action trigger pulls than the USPs. I am NOT saying the USP is a "bad" gun, only that I prefer the P220 to it and that the P220 will shoot tighter groups for those with the ability to shoot them. Either is certainly up to the self-defense mission and the USP is not inaccurate by any means.
Best.

Yes and then some. I have both and love both. When I took the Sig out of the box and shot it, the accuracy was unbelievable.
The H&K is very good and is what I use as a nightstand last stand. Also it is very durable and heavy duty.
But the Sig is like a target pistol.
If you buy one, make sure its the new ones with the green spring for plus P ammo. You don't have to shoot hot stuff, but you could if you wanted.

You can shoot plusP in the older 220's that don't have the green recoil spring also, just don't make plusP your exclusive choice of ammo. I have 220's with both the green springs and not, and I called SigArms about the plusP ammo issue. One of their gunsmiths, Corky, said it was safe, just don't run 400 rounds a week of plusP in the older 220. Safe is relative to where your standing and where the barrel is pointing of course........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back