HK USP .45 Fullsize orCompacts.Opinions please?

45automan

Hey Guys want to get myself a new .45:) So I am trying to decide what to get. I love 1911's but I have a few of them now. I want something diffrent. The HK looks nice and can be carried C&L. Are parts and mags easy to get for these guns? It seems everywhere I go no one has them. So enclosing,thanks for any info on these pistols.
45automan

45automan; I can't help you with the USP compacts but I've got an opinion on the USP 45 fullsize types. My shootin' buddy and I both got full size USP 45's when they first came out in the mid nineties. I had never owned a H&K product before but I've got to tell you I was really impressed. Of the thousands of rounds both pistols sent downrange I don't recall not one malfunction of any kind. There're accurate, lightweight, good capacity (10 rds) if that's important to you, durable (Hostile Environment finish), and like I said totally reliable. Like a dummy I traded mine but my buddy still has his and swears by it. I wish I had one back. H&K makes good stuff! Just my thoughts, J. Parker

I am very happy with my USP9. I have fired both the USP45 and USP Compact 45 (50 rounds with each). Both are excellent. You will notice recoil more with the Compact. Also, take a look at the Tactical.

The mags are a little pricey, but the reliability is incredible!!! it eats EVERYTHING without a burp. Extremely accurate, and just plain MEAN lookin'. It's big, but surprisingly easily concealed. I strongly recommend the Old World leather paddle holster...useful SA or DA. The manual safety can be left 'on' all the time, so when you load or clear, you have it on. NEAT!!!

I've had lots of offers for mine, but I'll never sell it. It's too sweet. You can still get 12rnd preban mags for it, but they're like $125. Too much for me for two rounds.....

like 'em both.

I have an Expert, Tactical and Compact and like them all. The Expert balances out nice with a little muzzle heavy heft. Good range and IDPA gun. The UTL mounts well on this pistol - the end of the light is about even with the muzzle. Since I shoot it a lot, it makes a most familar house gun.

The Compact is reasonably compact for carry and has a very good grip size for DA shooting.

The Tactical? Well, had to get a can with this one and that's a whole other kind of fun. Gun, can and tax stamp made this one the priciest.

With all, you get the HK reliability.

Own a USP45, LOVE IT!! :D
Tried out the USP40C & 45C, Liked 'em quite a bit.

Parts for the full sized HK's are readily available, if you know where to look. Everything you need to turn them into a Tactical, or a Competition shooter, it's there. Not so much for the Compact, except maybe for barrels.

I highly recommend you SHOOT them both first, because one will fit you better than the other. The Compact grip is slimmer and shorter, just enough to LOSE to my Fullsize as my preferred primary house gun. I had the bucks all ready to buy, and the Compact just didn't feel right. I bought a new upper for my AR15 instead.

Of course, YMMV

I have shot some very nice groups with the Compact.

If you're looking for another non-1911 45, the compact is a nice concealable shooter.

I have 2 USP .40s and 2 USP .45s. Only one has ever had a malfunction, which you can read about in my thread below. I would definately buy one (or 4;))!!

My HK45c has become my favorite carry piece. Light, extremely accurate, durable, and an all around winner. The full size is fine too, but for carry, the 45c wins in my book.

I have a HK USP Compact .45. It has been reliable and accurate. It is not compact, though. It's still a pretty big gun. My Kimber Compact is significantly smaller. The SA trigger is ok -- not as good as my Sig P239, and certainly not as good as my Kimber. The DA trigger is, quite frankly, horrendous. It is so heavy that I can barely pull the darn thing. Much heavier than the DA trigger on my S&W revolvers. The HK USP is a real big gun. For CCW, definitely get the compact over the USP.

M1911

I swear by USPs. Best damn combat handgun ever made.

I'd recommend the full size if you have large hands. Be sure to really play with one a bit, as they are rather thick. I don't care for the compact, as it really isn't compact, and doesn't have the full recoil reduction nested spring setup. I figure that if I can't pocket it I'd just as soon go for the biggun (pun intended). Also, in .45 I'd certainly want the longer barrel of the full size.

Can't go wrong with an HK.

I had a full size stainless USP 45.

Reliable, accurate, intimidating looking, but alas too big for my preferences.

I sold it and bought a 1911.

Our PD has both full size and compact USP 45's. Many troops actually like the compact better than the full size and carry it on Patrol. Full Size and UTL carried by SWAT. UTLII issued to all other Officers. I have found the full size occasionally has had some difficulty with light firing pin strikes when dirty, and light strikes on lead free primers. No trouble at all with compacts, even when dirty. I carry a compact in uniform and love it. Get One...

H&K USP 45C

I have one. Yeah, it's 99.99 percent reliable (like my 1911), Yeah it'll feed anything (like my 1911). Yeah, it's accurate (like my 1911). If a firearm won't do those three things, I either have them fixed or get rid of them. A pistol doesn't get points for doing these things, instead it gets points off if it doesn't.....Like cars without air conditioning or something.

The H&K 45C is not noticeably lighter than the 1911 gov model when loaded. 8 rounds of 45 ACP is just going to be heavy.....even without a pistol. After trying several pistols, I decided that. When you load them with 8 rounds, you need either a scale or a Democrate ballot inspector to tell the difference. Heck, what we need is lighter bullets that deliver the same effect.

The H&K USPs all feel thick to a hand that's used to a 1911. When I first bought mine, I took it to the range several times, shot a couple boxes of ammunition at plates, cleaned it and put it back in the box. I just haven't had any enthusiasm for getting it out since.

I can't say anthing against H&K USPs beyond ergonomics and I guess I'll keep it at least until Bush is inaugurated and moved into the White House but I don't enjoy shooting it much. You know what I mean.

And they are pricey for an "off the rack" pistol!

Can't comment on the .45, but my F9mm is utterly reliable! It's the only weapon in my (modest) arsenal that I've really abused, and it's performed without a single glitch. +P rounds, handloads, dirt, crud, over lubed, under lubed...no worries.

This is the ultimate worst-case scenario handgun. Well worth the bucks!

The trigger pull sucks on it! Pull the trigger before buying it. I am hoping the LEM DAO trigger will be available for civilians as a USP upgrade. I heard the match trigger doesn't improve the DA pull much. Sucks!!!

Back