HK USP .40 vs .45

I've made up my mind darn it, I'm getting a HK USP. I love shooting .45 1911s, but have not yet shot a .45 USP. I checked one out at a local gun store and really like the feel and the way it pointed for me. The cocked and locked option along with a decocker rules! (Variant 1)

It will be used as a police duty pistol once I am hired by my local agency. Most of the officers carry Glock 22s, but I really like the USP. However, I can't decide on a caliber.

Is the .45 more accurate than a .40? Is big and slow better than the snappy .40? What about having to make a shot past 50 yards? Does the .45 drop like a shotgun slug?

I know close in, the .45 delivers a world of hurt.

Without starting a caliber war, which would you choose for duty if the issue ammo was Federal Hydrashoks?

Thanks

If most of the department carries a .40 I would stick with the .40 . It's a great LEO round. Also, it could keep you out of having to field questions of why you need such a "big" round when others carry something different in a situation where you are forced to use it. Funny how the BG's "family", who wrote the #*&?# off years ago and haven't had anything to do with the criminal since, all of a sudden becomes so devastated and pained at the loss of their sweat little Johnny when he is the subject of law suit lotto.

Also, the Glock is a great weapon. If it is the preference of most of the officers on the department you may want to wait and see if when you come on board you decide to join the crowd.

My choice was the HK USP COMPACT .45ACP, it is an excellent firearm and you can carry-it anywhere. My vote goes to the .45ACP compact.

Had a chance to shoot the USP .45. That is a great gun. If there was no 1911, the USP would be my top choice. My personal preference would be to go with the .45 cal.

Regardless of which caliber you end up with, I think that the USP is solid and will be reliable for you.

I would go for the .45 cal. I would check the departments approved list of duty ammunition. Most likely it will be 230gr JHP's, if so, its hard to beat the Fed Hydra Shok JHP.

As for trajectory beyond 50 yards, if an opportunity presents itself where you have to shoot that far, you are better off with your Carbine, or whatever rifle/shotgun combo your department supplies. If gunplay is in order at that distance, you should have ample time to grab your secondary weapon.

Recoil in the .45 should be about the same, with the .45 feeling softer because of the decreased slide velocity of the lower pressure round.

From a legal standpoint, if your department approves the weapon and ammunition combo, then you are justified legally to use that weapon no matter how many folks use a different caliber. The department assumes the responsibility of representing you for the type of weapon used,but at the same time, whether use of force was justified or not is a burden you will have to bear. IF there were to be a legal problem, the department would issue a blanket order that you must use said weapon with said ammo for all personnel.

Good Shooting
RED

Having shot both, I prefer the .45. Both are very nice to shoot and the only reason I chose what I did was because I like .45s in full sized pistols. If the majority of the people shoot .40, however, I would probably go with a .40 as well.

The only reason other than this that I would go with the .40 is because it is SLIGHTLY smaller (the frame of the USP) than the .45, so if the full sized .45 is a little too big, maybe the .40 will be perfect.

IMO both are tremendous pistols.

Back