HK SL-8

Boneyard

Has anyone here had the pleasure of trying out this futuristic looking weapon yet?..Is it woth the $1400 Price tag?

------------------
A MASTER OF HIS ART REVEALS IT IN EVERYTHING HE DOES

handled one at a show
i heard you can accesorize it so it looks like the G36

there is alot of plastic on that gun
no 30 round mags either
the M96 stoner from robinson is more my speed

dZ

I guess if you can live with a ten round mag, poor position of the selector switch, butthole stock and a charging handle that you have to chase from under the scope rail when you need it, it may be worth $1400.
I'm an HK owner and fan, but I can't hack this.

A friend of mine who is a compulsive buyer bought one late last year. I had the opportunity to shoot it. First of all I can't comment on the price. If you got the money....
Secondly it shoots VERY well. It sounds like a miniature cannon. It doesn't have any metallic recoil sound like the AR15. Clean and semi-low pitched. The accuracy is superb. He hit sub 2" groups at 100yd with the iron sights. The only downside is the 10rd capacity and the safety. I didn't really mind the thumbhole. If the 10rd thing is bothering people, just buy more mags. :)
From what he told me during his cleaning, most of the interior (bolt and assemblies) is chrome. After cleaning it, it still seemed brand new. If I can recall, this rifle is based on the military HK G36, which looks much better IMO.
Would I dish out $1400, maybe...

[This message has been edited by Spirex288 (edited February 02, 2000).]

I am also another HK fan. When I saw the SL-8 in the store, I was elated. "Wow! HK has a civilian G36!" After handling the rifle, I was somewhat disapointed. The thumbhole stock is done all wrong, you need to be a contortionist in order to operate the safety with your thumb, and the whole thing is a little bulky feeling too. I liked the ambidextrous operating handle and mag release, but that sight rail and ugly whitish grayish color just dosen't hack it. Oh yea, the 10 rnd limit is also a big negative.

At risk of being ridiculed by other HK fans, I'll have to say that this is the rifle that Klinton built. Thumbhole stock, 10 rnd mag, and that ugly color (glad it's not day-glow orange!) are all designed to be PC Klinton friendly "features." I'm sure if HK would have been quite happy enough to make a identical semi-auto copy of the G36. (Less tooling costs). But instead, HK has to please the BATF and Klinton; resulting in the visual POS called the SL-8. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure the SL-8 is a fine firing rifle, but regardless of what our mommies told us, looks do matter.

A couple months after I first saw the SL-8, I went to the same store and checked out the USC. For my analysis of the USC, just read the above paragraphs with USC in place of SL-8.

I despise Klinton for turning works of art like the G36 and UMP45 into ugly trash. A good analogy would be a rotweiller in a ballerina costume. Still just as mean, but kinda stupid looking.

If you're a die hard HK fan (like me) and you can spare the coin (kinda like me), and you don't mind the "stylish" Klinton mandated "features" (NOT ME), then I think it would be worth purchasing one.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 03, 2000).]

On a previous range trip, the guy shooting next to me swapped rifles with me, so I got to shoot it. He wanted to see what an AR was all about, I wanted to see that.

I feel just about the same as everyone else, the thumbhole..Ehhhh, I don't know. It feels just "not right". The safety is very unergonomic. But the sound was nice as Spire said.

All in all, its not bad at all. Just would be better if it didnt have that thumbhole, could take high-caps...but then again, you need a G36 for that.

Most, though not all, of the unwanted features are USA inspired. The color came about because of German law for their domestic market. In Germany, I've heard it's illegal to sell a black military-styled firearm (I think I got that right). So you can see that the USA doesn't have the only idiotic cosmetic assault-weapons laws on the books.

I know that the SL8 (Europe spec) is different than the U.S. spec SL8-1. The Euro has the ability to use the 30 round mags as well as the Beta-C mags. There may be more differences I can't remember right now.

I didn't know about the German no-black-military-rifle rule. The euro spec HKs are almost white, compared to the greyish color we get here.

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

Maybe this is a dumb question, but couldn't a company just manufacture a new receiver here in the states for the SL-8 that took 30 round mags. Stick all of the german parts on it, and it would be legal. I mean the receiver is legally the gun right? HK could cut a deal with some manufacturer here, then ship the rest of the parts here for assembly. That way you could have a pistol grip stock also. If the price wasn't too bad it could really give the AR makers a run for their money.

Have had mine for about a month now. I agree it has a few shortcomings, but then on the other hand it certainly has its pluses. A new gas system, adjustable butt-stock, adjustable cheek-piece, almost total breakdown with a small hand tool, and a dual optical sight (3x-mag. & red dot) that is independently adjustable. First group that I fired, with open sights, would fit under a quarter. Ten round magazine sucks.

Wish it had another position on the selector and a “can” on the end of the barrel. Hehe…

Skyhawk

[This message has been edited by Skyhawk (edited February 03, 2000).]

10 rounds of 5.56 seems plenty enough, unless you can't shoot worth a sh*t in the first place...

Making money into noise is fun but placing bullets into targets hundreds of yards away with undiscriminating accuracy is better.

I would spend $1400 on an M1A, more gun for the money.

I recently visited a table at a local gun show and one of these rifles was on display. The dealer told me that the location of the magazine was removable and plans were to alter or replace that component and it would then accept 15/16 magazines!! I know the dealer and he re stated that this was to happen and in the relatively near future. Whether civilians can convert or not, I do not know, but if this does occur, will make the weapon a whole lot more appealing.

I like the SL-8. And since you can now get accessory parts that make it look up like a real G36... It may be a good option.

I am a very carefull consumer - I dont spend money lightly. Well - not on things over 100 bucks... because I can blow a small handfull of 20s in a heart beat and not even have a hangover to remember it by... but anyways... I digress. It took me a good long time just to pick out a pocket knife!
You should see me at a car lot! Picking out the Lincoln LS took me dang near a whole week!

My point is that the first time I looked at it I was not all that tickled. Then the more I looked at it - and the more my AR jammed... The more I thought on the SL-8.
Now, I am quite open to the idea of actually buying one.
At SHOT I looked at one with the G36 dress, wiht those neat optics... If I could get one with that set up - I would.

Correia has a great idea... I bet some one could make a lower here that would work. Or redesign a type of magazine and sell them in Mexico and Canada... Short drive to get a bundle of them. :D

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Back