HK SL-8

remy66

Inactive
Any thoughts on the HK SL-8 thinking about buying one are there any problems with the rife other than the price.

Thumbhole grip absolutely sucketh. This feature alone was enough to scratch it off my wishlist and I'm a pretty big HK fan. The rest of the gun is great.

- Ron V.

------------------

In SL8 you really see what German version of gun control makes to good (long) guns. SL8 is based on HK G36 assault rifle, but the German authorities required so many modification to the cililian sales version that there are practically no similarities left. According to the German gun law a civilian rifle cannot even look like a military rifle in any detail!

Ossi

Thanks All! The information is good I think I will put off buying one for now and buy another AR 15. I am new to the firing line and the computer.

I say Thanks again to all

Best price on the SL8 is floating around $1500. Just picked one up tonight and unfortunately with sales tax and fees...came to about $1700.

It is a very cool gun but I have to wait to see how it shoots. Very nice plastics. But it only accepts 10-rd mags. Anyone know where the SL8 mags are available?

I looked at one today.
I must say - I LOVE IT. I liked the feel fit and finish.
The cost was 1800 - so after tax your looking at 2K. For a 10 round shooter. This is not acceptable.
Should a gunsmith be able to modify this gun to accept Standard GI mags - I wont spend my money on it. Nor would I opt to take it into a tactical situation. To the range? Every dang time! But untill it can pack its own share of lead it wont be doing any real work for me.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I must disagree with the comment that $2K is too much for a ten round shooter. Any decent bolt action sniper rifle can cost minimum of $2K and goes all the way up to $4K or $5K. These are 1 to 5 rounders.

By the way, the standard G36 optics/carry handle can be installed in place of the long Picatinny rail. I saw one set up like this at a recent gun show.

I suspect that the MG36 forearm and bipod could be installed as well.

The bottom weapon in the photo is a PhotoShop special. In real life, the SL8's receiver is constricted so that a G36 magazine will not fit even if the modular mag well is switched out.

However, the carry handle can definitely be installed. The forearm swap has yet to be seen.

If this was in .308, I would probably get one too. But its not. Its .223. Its a Declawed Weapon. Would you want to spend the money and time on getting that Bushmaster if it could only take 10 rounds mags? No - I dont think you would. Part of the G-36's appeal and its usefullness is its ability to take hicap detachable mags... But HK made it 10 Max Only. That appeal is gone.
It isnt Sub-MOA... It isnt a Heavy hitting calliber. It isnt that usefull.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I don't get the requirement for a hi-cap magazine on a target rifle. Sure I would prefer the G36 with dual 30-rd mags. But if HK didn't make these necessary BATF modifications, we won't even get to see the SL8. Let's not fault HK for this. At least they are trying. Let's fault the liberals, and maybe even the NRA, I haven't seen any TV ads from NRA countering the media's false statements. :)

It isnt a TARGET RIFLE.
A target rifle is a completely different animal.
This is a "practical application" rifle (avoiding the word tactical) without the magazine capacity.

------------------
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

I have the highest respect for Geroge. But I must repectively disagree. We judge target rifles by their accuracy, not by thier looks. If a Remington 700 with a scope is considered a target rifle, than as long as the HK SL8 can meet or better its MOA accuracy, then the SL8 is also a target rifle. Just like the well respected HK PSG1. Of course we are not comparing price at this point. :)

The PSG1, MSG90s are Target Rifles...
They may have the roots of the G3 battle rifle... But they have been refined and tuned for accuracy.
The G36 is a battle rifle. The SL8 is a civilianized G36. The SL-8 has not been refined and tuned. I talked to the guys there who fired the SL-8... Benched. The concensus is that it is far from a "Match" piece. The trigger is far from good, making getting all you can out of it - hard at best.
The plastic stock, while nice and all - isnt set up for serious target shooting. I would wait for a tuner to convert it to AR mags... and replace my M4 with it.

------------------
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Back