HK SL-8

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Got to handle an SL-8 yesterday at the range. Didn't get a chance to shoot it though. Seemed clunky looking but handled and shouldered well. The modular concept is well executed but perhaps wear could become a factor as the weapons get older (steel pins wearing on the plastic body during repeated disassembly & reassembly). I can foresee an aftermarket segment building replacement and accessory parts for this weapon the same as the AR series of weapons has. Heavy barrel is free-floated. My friend is getting the twin optical sight but it hasn't come in yet. My main complaint is the trigger. Very mushy trigger. Hard to believe it's an HK trigger. Hopefully it will break-in okay and clean up with break-in. Another minor complaint is the ambidextrious bolt charger handle. It's a good design but when wearing gloves it will be very hard to charge as there is not much room to fit a gloved finger in to push or grasp the charging handle. The best solution would be just to get the weapon with the optical sight handle/rail instead of the Pictanny (sp) style rail that comes standard.

I got the chance to fondle one at a local gun store today. I can't say I was very impressed. I don't mind some plastic on a gun, but it was WAY over the top. Though I'm sure its well built, I'd be afraid to leave it in the trunk of my car on a hot day for fear it would warp. I'd been lusting after one since I first saw the pictures of it. Now I can move on to the next gun on my list.

Chuck

Is that the Grey piece of %^&* I saw in my local shop recently? What a waste! Limited to 10 rounds, they make it in .223? Why not 308? I mean for close to $2000, they could do better than that.

------------------
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Doubro,

You got it. That was my reaction too. I don't think they could make the but stock any skinnier either.

Chuck

I saw 2 at my local gun shop. I didn't care for it. I like rifle black or with some sort of wood stock. and the gov't likes my rifles without a pistol grip, flash suppessor, collapsible stock, grenade launcher, bayonet lug, ammo,

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

HK had to make SL-8 much worse than HK G36 assault rifle it was supposed to be based on because SL-8 was built in accordance with both German and American restrictions on guns meant for civilian sales. According to how German gun law is applied a civilian sales weapon cannot look like a military weapon in any detail, and that is why HK had to make many details inferior in SL-8 compared to G36, just to get it look different. So don't tell it is just BATF who makes ridiculous rules, according to gun magazines the rules for HK were mostly given by State police in Germany!

BTW, also HK company makes some ridiculous retrictions. In my country (Finland) any semiauto rifle could be legally purchised by a permit holder (and full autos by people with collector permits, something like US Class III), and we do not have any mag cap limits, but HK denies to sale semi-auto G36 or larger than 10 round rifle mags to individuals also in countries where they are legal! They only sell G36 to government agencies, not even to police and military personnel as individuals. That I call a very stupid company policy.

Ossi

Back