HK PSP vs P7M8

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

for all you HK P series experts out there, I have a question: Is the PSP basically a P7 M8 with an European heel mag release? Or maybe I should say the P7M8 is a PSP with an American mag release? Any other difference?

------------------
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Hello thequikad;
The PSP, as you note, has the butt mag release. The earlier versions had the release button relatively exposed, while the later ones are recessed, and therefore not as easy to release accidentally. (For awhile, the PSP was actually catalogued as just the "P7", though now, most of the versions you'll find NIB or used are marked PSP.) H&K no longer has the PSP listed as available in their USA catalogues, nor the P7M13, for that matter, only the P7M8.
The other difference, and the more important one, is that the PSP lacks the heat shield at the upper aspect of the trigger cutout, so that the heat buildup after firing only 10 rounds is much more noticeable than with the P7M8, which doesn't become uncomfortably hot until about 50 rounds are shot fairly quickly.
The noted differences make the P7M8 slightly less "sleek" than the PSP, but the heat shield and the quicker mag release of the P7M8 make it the better choice, IMNSHO.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

I agree with SAWBONES but would like to add that the shape of the trigger on the PSP is more curved and has longer travel than on the P7M8.The trigger pull I feel is better on the P7M8, however the PSP "feels" smaller to me and IS alot more sleek.

Dave

Also, the psp does not have a chamber loaded indicator. I have both a psp and an m8. I prefer the PSP for carry--it has fewer snagables and is unlikely to eject its mag in a pinch. Either way, get one.

thank you all for the advice. I have a P7M8 NIB but found a PSP at a local gun store on consignment for $500. So I was wondering what the differences are.

The PSP also has a slightly smaller trigger guard. I prefer the PSP for carry, but that's just personal choice. It is a tad smoother, and I have never had any heat problems noticeable with mine. $500 would be a good price for a great gun!

Greg, How did your refinish/hardchrome project turnout. Mine has 800 rds w/ no problems. Still looks like the day I unboxed it with just a quick wipedown after some work.

QuickAD,

Please email me at sid_post@hotmail.com or call me @ 940-241-1291. The boards won't let me read your email address or this would be sent offline to save bandwidth.

Thanks,
Sid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back