HK or Steyr for reloading

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Kill

Inactive
I thinking of buying a new pistol; have narrowed it down to a HK USP 40 Compact or the new Steyr M40. Does anyone have any experience with any of these two pistols? Also, I will reload for this new toy. Do any of them have any limiting factors? Will using lead cast bullets or copper plated lead be a problem?

I give a thumbs up to the Steyr M40. Unlike the HK USP, Glock, and others, it truly has a fully supported chamber. There is no exposed brass in the 6 o'clock chamber opening and the over all chamber is fairly tight, but not too tight.

The brass comes out very clean and should have a good life span.

It has the lowest bore axis on the market and the felt recoil is definitely less than a Glock 23.

Like I mentioned in another email, I've shot a 1000 rounds through my new steyr m40 and I ain't going back to my old gun. This one's a keeper.

I forgot to mention that the Steyr designers made the M series to be handload friendly. You can shoot lead, plated bullets, or whatever through it, since it does not use a polygonal rifling. There is approximately a 3% loss in velocity for this reloader friendliness and it's well worth it.

I've been reloading for my USP40F for going on 6 months now and haven;t had a problem. Some of the brass does have a slight bulge after being reloaded a few times and I separate those. ( about 100-150 rds a week )
YMMV just watch your brass for signs of fatigue, etc.

There has been threads on the Handguns area about how HK says not to put lead down the any of their barrels which have a polygon rifling, which the new USP do. Jarvis makes some aftermarket barrels ith conventional rifling.

hawkgt

JB,

I reload for my HK Tactical .45 and shoot hard cast bullets through it almost exclusively. I know there are warnings against this, but I've experienced no trouble. I normally only run 150 or so rounds through it during a range session, and I am meticulous about cleaning after every range trip. I think, based on my experience, that shooting lead is OK in an HK USP if you keep your barrel clean. BTW the HK doesn't lead the barrel any more than my Colt Govt. or Ruger P-90.

Thanks for the info guys!! Being a lefty, think I’ll go for the Steyr. The HK Variant 2’s seem rare and I think they cost more than 1’s. Again, thanks for the input and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back