HK or SIG 45? help meeeeeee????

tobeat1

I recently was at a gunstore the other day and was looking at the HK tactical (MKIV?) I think it looks kinda cool, but I would like to get the SIG 245 (just because). I already have a 220 and a 239, so the gun is really just going to be a fun-gun. What are the plusses and negatives on this one?

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

I don't have any experience with either gun, but I just chose a HK USP45 compact over a Sig P220. The SIG felt more solid, but I liked the DA and cocked-and-locked option with the HK. I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning along with my wife's new Mossberg 500.

I think you would be happy with either one, so get one of each :)

Here is Gun Tests' (12/99) summary for the P245:

"Conditional Buy. Its MSRP [$845] includes an additional $95 for the luminous Siglite sights, but we feel it is overpriced. Although it was the most accurate of our group from a rest when shot single-action only, this pistol was difficult to shoot unsupported past short combat distances. Contributing factors were a glaring front-sight blade and recoil that disrupts trigger control. Unless all your guns are of DA/SA or better yet, all Sigs, you may not be able to keep up the training necessary to adequately defend yourself."

This doesn't sound like a "fun gun" to me.

I have no experience with the Sig. However, I absolutely love the HK USP 45 Tactical, and I'm not crazy about polymer pistols. It is accurate and reliable beyond belief. Has match trigger and fully adjustable sights. Go with the HK. You wont be sorry!!! Twoinchgroup52.

I don't have either one but I've decided on the HK! I wanted a polymer frame and it's a lot cheaper w/o a drop in quality and accuracy, USP9mm over any SIG. If it's going to be strictly a "fun gun", why buy something that you already have at least 2 of? I sure as Hell hear a lot more good things about HK then bad. SIG's just seem over priced to me.

I would say of the 2, the H&K would be more of a "fun" gun. The SIG is pretty specific in that it is a CCW type pistol, and would certainly seem to demand a bit more training and dedication to shooting it well. I intend to add one to my stable (226, 229, 239) as soon as I can raise the cash.
They (SIGS)may seem overpriced, but the money is well spent IMO, and you can find pretty good deals from time to time.
What is the price of the HK Tactical compared to the SIG?

Well, I must admit that I am a Sig fan but I would say in your case, why not go with what's best for your wallet? Either way, you will end up with a great gun so if both guns feel comfortable in your hands, why not go with the least expensive one? Good luck with your purchase.

HK or SIG? If you have the money, both. If not, you have to determine what role the pistol needs to fill. Several of the posts have stated that the SIG is overpriced. I guess that depends on the gunshop you are standing in. In the Mesa, Scottsdale, Pheonix area shops I have been in lately, the HK USP Tactical is the hands down winner for the "Most Outrageously Overpriced Pistol" award. The HK Tactical, with soft case, cleaning kit and one extra magazine was going for 875$. In this same shop a SIG P245, with hard case and one extra magazine, but no cleaning kit, was going for 599$. How HK can get away with selling a cleaning kit for 275$ is a trick I'd like to learn. ;) One thing that has not been mentioned is Customer Service. SIG has an excellent customer service reputation. HK on the other hand has a reputation for slow service, and rude customer service representitives.
Before you make up your mind one way or the other, I suggest you talk to your local PD, the SWAT guys in particular, about their experiences with the two firms you are looking at. I talked with SWAT Team members from Mesa and Gilbert, and both departments have had similar experiences as related above. Both are great firearms, just know what You want before buying.
Myself, I would buy the HK USP Tactical. Like yourself, I already have several SIGs, and the USP would just help diversify the gunsafe.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Back