HK G3 SG-1?

The SG-1 is a miltary sniper variant of the standard G3, which included the functional accessories of: a low power (4x) telescopic sight, cheek rest and a set trigger mechanism. These were never available for civilian sales, to my knowledge, however there may have been a few dealer samples imported.

Ok then, what can one do to a typical g3 to approximate the functionality and capability of the sg-1?

I'm in the market for one, I'm trying to figure out where to begin.

There are many ways to set up the commerial H&K 91 (semi-auto only variant of the G3). ARMS makes an excellent claw-mount for about $225 (cheaper used)(the original H&K are at least 2x in price). The PSG-1 semi-auto trigger pack can be puchased from several retailers for a price ranging from $375-450. An H&K MSG-90 stock (with adjustable cheekpad) and an extended butt pad add another $300 dollars to the tab. Then there is the glass. A good quality 4x or a 6x fixed power scope, with an appropriate bullet drop compensator (reticle or dial) will add another &350-$700 depending on brand and lens coating.

Unless you've got your heart set on an H&K, there are less expensive ways to get the same or better accuracy, robustness and semi-auto capability.

A major difference between the PSG-1 sniper rifle rests also with the receiver. To limit the flexing of the sheetmetal receiver during recoil, two metal reinforcement bars were welded alongside where a folding stock would normally fold into. There were other refinements (free floated match barrel, target grip, tripod) but for the money (about $12k), you can get 50 caliber and really reach out and touch someone.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

saw one at a local gun store in san diego ca.
was selling for 5,500$ for that much i was buy a mcmillin 50 cal sniper rifle retail about 4500.00 shot one very nice rife.

The only really remarkable feature of the G3SG/1 is the trigger pack. It had a "set" feature, where a button behind the trigger could be used to set up for the next shot, at which point the trigger break was at something like 1 pound of pressure, and supposedly crisper than the PSG/1 pack. However, the pack could also run full auto, making the G3SG/1 one of the most versatile rifles made by HK.

Other than the trigger pack, the SG/1 variant had nothing remarkable about it, save that it was built using hand picked pieces from the G3 assembly line that came out with the best tolerances. Someone else mentioned the MSG90 stock -- that was not fitted to the SG/1. The SG/1 had a modified G3A3 stock with an adjustable cheekpiece.

Back