HK Compact 9 or 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

This is simple. HK Compact 9mm or .40S&W? Stainless or not? What about recoil and weight? Heard recoil system is different on standard USP. Is this ideal for a concealed carry gun? Thanks to all you pros in advance!

Most would consider the H&K compacts a little large for everyday concealed carry, but I think they would do fine. There really is no size difference so it would come down to whichever caliber you feel more comfortable with. If you like the 9mm and shoot it well, get it. If you handle the .40 well and feel undergunned with a 9mm, go with the .40. Either one will suffice if you do your part. I have a full size H&K .40 and love it. Shake

40SW do kick harder than 9mm. If you don't like recoil, I go with the 9mm. Ammo is also cheaper on the 9mm by about 5%. Go with the stainless if you can afford to pay the higher price. Looks better and easier to clean.

Just a FWIW. I have an HK .40 Compact.

Plus side - I have very small hands, and this grip fits me very well. The pistol is accurate, and DA trigger pull is a tad lighter than my Sig's. Single action pull is light and crisp compared to my Glocks (yeah, I know, but let's not go there :) ).

Minus side - the checkering (or whatever you'd call it) on the grip is quite sharp, and becomes uncomfortable after a long range session. Also, recoil for me is very sharp. This is in comparison to to a Glock sub-compact (33 w/.40 barrel), which surprised me. I would have figured the HK to be softer. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but the HK for me is slower to recover than the baby Glock. Your mileage may vary, obviously. Hope that helps some.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

While some would argue, the differences between the two are small. If you plan on practicing a lot, and $ is an issue, know that the .40 will run you more $ every time you use it.

I chose the 9c over the .40 because it was sufficient and more economical. Recoil and control is very nice on the 9C, but don't know about the .40 .

Post your final decision here, when you get it!

David

[This message has been edited by David (edited November 09, 1999).]

I've carried the 40 USP/c concealed for the past two years. It is the same size package as a Glock 23 and I find that it is much easier to manage the recoil with the USP. The compact uses a doughnut shaped recoil buffer to reduce slide battering whereas the full size uses a double spring mechanism.

Some of our dept issue USP's have rusted but these were mostly seen on motor officers or bicycle officers that were constantly exposed to the elements. If you properly oil the slide it should take care of the problem. Mine never showed signs of rust. Go with the stainless if you don't mind spending the extra bucks and aren't concerned about light reflection off the slide.

------------------
El Cid '89

Thanks for the input pros! I will be buying a USP Compact in the next three weeks. That is if some jerk pays what he owes me.
I'll keep you updated as soon as I come to a decision. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back