HK 93 conversion

Libertarian

Is there anyway to convert a semiauto HK93 to selective fire without replacing the entire receiver? I am trying tofind out if it is possible before I start the paperwork and shelling out the related costs.

Unfortunately the conversion of semiautomatic weapons to selective fire was banned in May of 1986 as well as the production of new fully automatic weapons for private citizens. The only people who can do so today are Class II license holders who convert for a law enforcement agency or the military.

------------------
Byron Quick

The upper receiver on a semi and full are the same. Where they differ is in the area around the magazine release. Basically, the semi-receiver cannot take a factory full auto lower trigger group without machining. The modification satisfied BATF requirements for import.

Unfortunately, thanks to ex-President Bush, full autos may no longer be made for civilians and your HK93 can only be converted if it were for Law Enforcement, military or export. If you want one, you'd have to shuck out the bucks to buy an existing full auto.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Oh well. I can't afford the sticker price of a full-auto so I guess I'll live with semi-auto until I win the lottery.

Thanks for the input.

Actually, not all is lost here. You cannot legally convert your 93 into a *new* machinegun, but you could certainly set it up with a registered HK autosear. When people saw the writing on the wall back in 86, they quickly registered autosears and even full auto trigger packs as registered machineguns. You can legally purchase one of these and put it on your HK series rifle.

Current price on a registered autosear is about $3500-4000, depending upon where you find it. The HK family (91/93/94/SP89) guns are selling for around 2200 and up. So, you could easily have an HK machinegun for 6200 or so. Considering the fact that you've already got the 93, you're looking at the price of the sear and the paperwork.

One advantage of a registered sear is that you can legally move it from gun to gun. If you happen to have a 91 and a 93 you'll have two machineguns! Pretty cool stuff.

Registered sears are pretty common -- other than the price, I don't think you'll have any problem finding one already installed in a clip on lower receiver that replaces the trigger pack you already have. You'll also need to replace the semi bolt carrier with a full auto bolt carrier.

Hope this helps...

danbrew :->

Back