HK 91 value

Dave AA

My local gunstore has a HK91 for $2500. It is in decent shape, some wear on the finish, I didn't get to look at it to close. are there any reliability problems with this model? is this a fair price? will it appreciate in value? I'm going to take out a loan for this gun, so I'm a little leery. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, they also have a Colt pre-ban AR-15 A2 for $1500. any good?

[This message has been edited by Dave AA (edited October 01, 1999).]

The HK91 is a great weapon. At the risk of rubbing your nose in it, I paid $335 for mine with four magazines.

Of course that was in 1979 . . . :)

I will never sell it. I think I have seen them as low as $1800 within the last few months, so your price seems a little high. The preban price seems high too. Is it a true preban, with a bayo lug "green label," or an intermediate "blue label" with the flash suppressor, but larger trigger group pins and no bayo lug. Maybe the green label is worth it.

I would wait till after Y2K and see if the prices fall. On the other hand, the "Colt is going out of the civilian market" rumors are floating around again.

Good luck!

For what its worth, I have been following H&K 91 prices for a couple months and I agree with Arizona Eric on all counts. The H&K seems high, the AR-15 probably is a little high but if I were you I would wait until after the new year and see if prices fall on both. At least the "California Effect" won't be there.

Hey Arizona Eric, that's less than the $350 (with only one magazine) I paid for mine! You think I got taken or what? I'd probably return it (if I still had it) to the dealer but for the fact that the dealer closed down. There is no recourse and I must learn to do better.

The HKs are fine guns and in those days, they were the talk of the town. If it wasn't HK, it wasn't worth having! Unfortunately because of gun laws and the rise of the German mark, they're virtually untouchable.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The H&K 91 A2 at 80% (some minor wear showing) is worth about $1600. However, because of market demand, you will find the pricing to be in the $1850-$2150 range. If you found this rifle at your local dealer, expect another 15-25% mark-up. If you found this specimen at your local gun show on a private table, you would pay maybe $1900.

Unless this piece is fitted with all factory accessories including scope mount, bayonet, bipod, sling, steel magazines (at least 4), and has the original red manual, you shouldn't be anywhere near $2500. You'll see prices on these without the accessories in the range of $2400-$2800, but they rarely sell in that range, unless they are 100% and you have a serious and wealthy (or naive) collector interested in it.

They are great rifles, but you need to shop around for a better price/condition combo. Resale values tend to strictly follow condition. The closer the condition to 100%, the higher the price tag. At $2500, this rifle should be new in the box.

The AR is also over priced. But it is the sense of urgency that people have in obtaining these things that drives the prices up. Again, condition is everything for resale value. Look for one in as-new or new in box condition, and that will justify the higher price.

Back