Hits, Outs, and Home Runs

Pep in CA

Regarding your firearms purchases, what would you consider a hit, an out, or a home run? Of course, this thread is dedicated to the World Series.

Your purchases can be for firearms, ammuntion, accessories, upgrades, or training ... or anything else firearms related.

Here are my hits, outs, and home runs:

Hit: My Remington 870 Express HD shotgun. It won't win any awards, but it does what I want it to do very well ... fire 6-7 rounds of buckshot without a hitch at a very good price point. It's a leadoff single.

Out: My Glock 19 pistol. It is neither a full size gun nor a conceal carry gun. It's a tweener. I thought that was a plus, but really, it is neither, not both. Flyout to deep left field.

Out: My Marlin 60 rifle. Yeah, it shoots straight and the price is awesome, but the stock sights suck. Fielder's choice.

Out: My training classes. I found a training company that holds classes for handguns, rifle, and shotgun at very affordable prices. I signed up for each. In each class, we shot a lot of ammo but with very little hands on instruction. I get more hands on instruction from my range officer friend at my local shooting range, just by asking him. Popup to the catcher in foul territory.

Home run: Due to California's new laws to go into effect Jan. 1, I recently purchased 10,000 rounds of 9MM ammo from Freedom Munitions for about 20 cents apiece. I paid no shipping rate or sales tax. I say yeah, that's a home run, but CA laws mean I'm out of the playoffs.

Home Run - a S&W 32 SWL Regulation M&P target revolver - very rare and the pawn shop didn't know what they had. Flipped it BIG time.

Home Run - HK P7 - scary accurate

Out - Davis .22 Derringer - just say no and walk away from that

Home Run - S&W K22 Masterpiece

Home Run - S&W 19-3 RB snub for $350

Out - CMP Garand 20 years ago

Home Run: Barrett M107A1. Scary precise at 600 and 1000 yards. Nothing like ripping through a mag full of tracers at night.

Home Run: Sig Mastershop Series P226 5" All Around. "Dead Nuts Accurate".

Solid hit: P229. Reliable as the day is long.

Solid Hit: LC9s. Accurate and fun to shoot.

Solid hit: Beretta M9A1. Fun to shoot and accurate.

Out: AK-47 pistol. Cool but with a 30 round mag, heavy and difficult to aim. With the 75 round drum (as some ads show it) not a reasonable pistol. But sexy in ads.

Last edited:
I bought a FAL about 2 years ago. My most expensive gun (I'm cheap) and I just couldn't get into it. It's a beautiful gun (for a reconstituted milsurp) nice wood furniture, so I keep it around.
My all time favorite is my mini14, but it will probably remain in my safe mostly now, in honor of the hundreds of nights out pig and coyote hunting. Great memories.
Finally turning to ARs was probably my homer.
I'm really a simple man, it don't take much.

I really miss my no4 enfield but that's at my crazy ex's house.

Out--Rem 700SPS. Was very picky on bullets, had a rotten trigger. Started keyholing after 1800 rounds.

Hit--2 bagger--Ruger mkii 77 in 25-06. Very sound, good accuracy for hunting.

Home Run--Savage 12 in 22-250. Very accurate, love the accu-trigger. Many sod poodles have been recycled by this gun.

Got Beaned--Reloader 10X fouls bores like coal dust.

There are lots more but enough is enough. ;)

Colorado Redneck, although "got beaned" wasn't an option I offered, it certainly makes sense to me. It should be regarded as a plate appearance.
Too funny.

Grand Slam - AC556
Home Run - FN FNC
Tripples - 1957 and 1960 Pythons
Doubles - most of my other guns
Strike-out - Taurus PT99

This is strictly based on appreciation in value from what I paid.

Hit: I’ve always really been sort of indifferent about GLOCKs don’t love them or hate them. However, after handling a G26 I decided to “give it a shot” and have been very pleased with this gun. It carries like a small gun, but shoots like a full-size. Also, it utilizes 10, 17 and 33 round magazines.

Out: While I like my Springfield Armory 1911 the SA XD I purchased just never worked out for me. Nothing really wrong with it mechanically, but it didn’t shoot particularly well and the looks were too “paint ball” for me.

Homerun: While I know it’s probably overpriced and overrated I love my Wilson Combat 1911. The thing just feels so solid in my hand with zero rattles and great all around fit. It is also a wonderful gun to shoot reliable and accurate.

Grand Slam - Weatherby Ultralight in .338-06
Home Run - Ruger Precision Rifle
Triple - DD5V1
Double - Dan Wesson RZ10
Singles - Too many to list
Hit by Pitch - .414 SuperMag

Thrown out trying to turn a single into a Double - Rem1100 for 3Gun
Out at 1st - G29
Struck Out looking - Armalite AR10
Struck Out Swinging - DPMS LR308

Home Run: Near-mint Series 80 Colt Commander for $475, after I'd passed on a bunch of pre-80s priced $650-$750 in no better than very good condition.

Hit: Auto pistol slide repaired via "micro welding". A piece had "chipped" off the slide, it was a rare part that might have cost $300 or more to replace, and even then it would not have matched the frame serial number like the original, and a shop was able to repair the slide for less than $150.

Out: Really beautiful, maybe unfired S&W Model 539 that I want to like, but hate. Col. Cooper warned me about the "crunchenticker" DA/SA mechanism forty years ago, but I didn't listen.

Double Play: Sending my new revolver back to S&W for a "Master Action Job", and not really being able to tell much difference in the quality of the trigger; it still will crack only 90% of handloads that don't use Federal primers, but now the strain screw is turned in tight.

Home Run #1 - Winchester 94 44 mag I bought off a guy a few years ago for $200.

Home Run #2 - 2 3/4 Security Six. Traded a stock G22 for it.

Hit - CZ75B bought BNIB for $400

Hit - CZ82 bought for $185

Foul Ball - M&P 9FS. Functioned 100% but hated pretty much everything else about it.

Strike - Marlin 60. Choked on everything. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

I like this. And wow some of those home runs are amazing.

Out stealing second: Colt Wiley Clapp Commander. I wanted to buy a 1911, was looking into a Ruger SR1911 or a Dan Wesson if I could afford, run into more money than I thought so I figured I would go with the brand new special edition for full msrp when released thinking a colt special edition would be better than the other two. It had to get sent back right away for a gouge in the barrel. I never fully warmed up to it. I like it but for some reason it does not feel right. I think it is because it's an aluminum frame. Every time I feel a full steel 1911, it feels so good. When I grab my colt, it feels ok.

Hit: CZ75b and SA XDS. Both are incredible and ridiculously accurate. Surprisingly so with the xds.

Triple: dpms ar-15. Brother in law works for the pd and the department sold their duty rifles to the officers and bought new ones. He had their first kid on the way and took it to the gun shop where they offered him $425 for it. He told me he would sell it to me for the same price. Came with a reddi mag system and a Trijicon reflex sight. Pretty good deal for an ar.

Home run: 3 Adams arms evo 14.5" piston ar-15. Wasn't on my radar but Fleet Farm got bought out by a company in New York and didn't want their own home branded Adams arms ar-15's. To get rid of them they put them at 50% off. Then in a catalog they added another 10% off with coupon. I bought the last 3 I could find when I found out for $617 each otd. Bought them to sell for a small profit but sold one to a friend for the price I paid and the other to my cousin for the same. Also kept one. Didn't make money but myself and those close to me did benefit.

Well I find that realoader 10x is OK. It won't win clean bore awards, but it is accurate and its cleaner than WWB. On to guns...

Home run: cmmg AR, PSA AR builds, and cheap Anderson lowers.

Home Run: numbers matching excellent bore yugo 24/47 Mauser. I bought it for $150 bucks from jgsales when they were cheap. Its fun to shoot and fairly accurate. Plus its doubled in price in 6 or 7 years. Not that I plan on selling it.

Sacrifice fly: the cheap Romanian 8mm ammo I bought to feed that Mauser. Some clips were fairly accurate, some would have a flier that would open the group to 4 moa. Almost every clip had 1 or 2 rounds that needed a 2nd primer strike or wouldn't fire at all. It was cheap shooting though.

Triple: Ruger security six in .357. I picked it up for like 300 bucks in 2011. Its in excellent shape and likely to be worth more than I paid for it. It shoots like its worth twice what I paid for it. 3" groups at 50 yards isn't bad for a 40 year old revolver.

Double: RIA 1911. Good cheap 1911 that is accurate and reliable.

Single: Baby Desert Eagle polymer compact. I love the looks and it is fairly reliable. Can't be more than 6 failures in at least 12k rounds. I've had it 10 years and it was my only pistol for a while, so it has seen some trigger time. I don't shoot it very much anymore. Fairly accurate, so so trigger.

Sacrifice bunt with no run scored: Kahr CW9. Its combat accurate, has a decent trigger, reliable, and most importantly easy to carry and conceal. I just never really liked the gun. It is very utilitarian though

RBI from previous bunt: Tagua leather IWB holster for that Kahr. I see they've gone up in price, but I got that one for 28 bucks years ago and that pistol/holster was an EDC forma long time. Its about worn out now, but it doesn't owe me anything.

Out: Armalite M15 AR. Bought it years ago and sold it with good cause. The hammer pin walked, found out the hard way the gas keys weren't staked well enough, gas block/fsp was slightly canted, and the foreword handguard retainer came loose. I cut my losses and sold it.

Out: Saiga 223. AK pattern rifles just are not accurate enough for me. Saiga was supposed to be one of the better made/more accurate. 3moa just doesn't impress me. To be fair I didn't hand load then, and I have heard Saigas would respond to good hand loads.

Losing both games in a double header: selling my Springfield Range Officer and can't afford another one right now :mad:

The OP here. This was a fun thread, guys. Thanks for stepping up to the plate with your replies.

I learned a lot from it ... both good things and bad things ... and I learned some new terms I hadn't heard before. "Crunchenticker" and "Sod Poodles". :cool::)

Also, I noticed most of the home runs are from veteran guns that have been around awhile. Not many rookies hitting home runs these days, I suppose.

Back