Hit the Jackpot today.

USSR

Every few weeks I stop by the scrap yard to see what they have in the lead bin. I cast a lot of hollowpoints, so my alloy is fairly soft which means I use a lot of pure lead. Today, the lead bin had a whole lot of good looking lead sheathing. This, and lead pipe is my favorite source of pure lead, so I jumped on it. 137 lbs went home with me. Very, very happy.

Don

good grief USSR - 137 LBs?!? Perhaps you should invest in a good bullet trap - like tilted steel inside a tractor tire or something..... I don't think I've gone thru that much lead in all my years....

Grey_Lion,

I have a good bullet trap; 1/2" steel plate at about a 45 degree angle with a sand pit under it. It's a question of getting it while you can. I have talked to many reloaders in nearby cities who tell me that their local scrap yards won't sell them lead. And, hey, it don't go bad.

Don

But, at 200 grains that's less than 5,000 bullets. I've shot that many in two weeks at times. The recovery trap is sounding like a must.

When Ron Coburn still had Savage, he told me the trick to his snail-type bullet traps was never letting the bullet strike at an angle greater than 12°. As long as you did that, you got bullet deflection, even with sheet metal of relatively modest thickness and even firing jacketed rounds. In this way you could recover everything.

When Ron Coburn still had Savage, he told me the trick to his snail-type bullet traps was never letting the bullet strike at an angle greater than 12°.

I managed to get a 12" long radius 90 outta the scrap bin thinking it would be perfect. Well it does at least stop everything, but all's that is left is powder.:(

Then I took a 6gal bucket filled with the sandy loam we have at the farm, laid it on its side with the lid screwed on and viola stops everything I have, long as the range isn't too close. I have had solids from my revolvers go right on thru at 50 & 75yds.

Back