Hit at 225 yards with the Mosin open sights

Prof Young

Okay, I know there are many here who can do better, but . . .
Shooting my mosin today I managed to hit the 18" by 18" gong at 225 yards. Took me half a dozen shots to do it, and I had a spotter. Only non-standard part of the gun is the red tube on the front sight that I'd filed down trying to sight it in fifty yards . . . and filed too much off. I was shooting factory Sellor and Beloit (sp?) 180 gr ammo.

Gotta celebrate the minor achievements don't ya know!

Life is good.
Prof Young

Yeah, almost 100 years.

My Mosin is stamped 1934 and has the Hammer and Cycle stamped on it too. Has the hex receiver and, while I'm no expert, seemed like it was in really good shape when I bought it about seven years ago.
Life is good.
Prof Young

those old rifles are a hoot to shoot. Built for toughness first and accuracy 3rd ( havent figured out the 2nd yet so dont ask) but it is what many would say " acceptably accurate"
Iron sights are a good time and you should be proud. Some Red dotter's cant do that with a modern gun.

I have an M44 that I don’t think up to that task. 50 yard group looks a little worse than a carcano group with .264 bullets. At 100 yards it won’t print a 5 round group on a piece of poster board. It’s not me either, I know how to shoot irons. I frequently ring steel gongs out to 300 with my enfield, K31, Mauser, and Arisaka.

I need to bust it out and play with it and figure out what’s wrong, but I have a hard time getting excited with it. The folding pig sticker turns me off of it a lot I think.

5whiskey:
How does it shoot with the bayo extended? Mine shot better with the bayo fixed, but I didn't want to run around the woods like that. I'm not a re-enactor :).

Also, how's the bore? Crown? Was it backbored? Does it need to be backbored again?

How does it shoot with the bayo extended? Mine shot better with the bayo fixed, but I didn't want to run around the woods like that. I'm not a re-enactor .

Also, how's the bore? Crown? Was it backbored? Does it need to be backbored again?

I honestly haven’t looked. I shot it once, saw the results, then moved on to my nicer rifles. I suppose when I get bored with the rest of my collection I will return to it and see what’s up with it. I suspect it’s a bad ding on the crown but I do not know for sure.

As I recall, my boss said all the Mosins that came through the shop were bang on target at 200 yards. No idea what ammo. 18" x 18" is approximately the size of a typical human torso.
"...At 100 yards it won’t..." Every rifle is different. A lot depends on how it has been stored and maintained.
Age is irrelevant though.

Back