History or value (if any) is needed on a rifle.

Morning Gents,

My mother bought a nifty little .22lr rifle while I was at the farm this past week. I'm needing to see if any of you know the history on it or value of it.

It's a Winchester Mod. 1902 Single Shot .22lr, short, or extra long. It functions flawlessly and shoots just a tad high with it's fixed sights. It's a tiny gun--comparable to todays' "Chipmunks" that are put out in the .22lr or magnum calibers.

It was patented on August 29, 1888. There is no rust on the gun and all metal is in good condition.

The firing mechanism is merely a straight bolt that you bring to a 90° angle and back. It has no extractor, so you have to "pry" the bullet out with a pocket knife. Once you push the bolt back forward and down, you have to pull a "plunger" back to set the hammer.

Unfortunately, the stock could be in better shape, but it show's wear and has a couple of good cracks in it. I'm sure the little rifle could tell some stories if it could talk.

Anyway, any information will be appreciated.

------------------
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~~Etienne de Grellet

[This message has been edited by The Mohican Sneak (edited September 20, 1999).]

The Winchester 1902 was a product improved version of the model 1900. Fired .22 short and long (not long rifle). 18 inch round barrel, blued metal, open sights ,one piece straight grip stock without fitted buttplate, takedown, not serial numbered, special shaped extended trigger guard. Chambering included .22 Extra Long in 1914. From an older edition of the Blue Book.

SNEAK:
I addition to what fal 08 has commented on. In 1927 the .22 Extra Long was dropped in favor of the more popular .22 Long Rifle. All of these cartridges were interchangeable. The stock was a one-piece plain gumwood with straight grip. (The metal trigger gurard added a pistol grip feel) and steel buttplate, which was changed to composition in 1907. This model was not serial numbered. About 640,000 were sold between 1902 and 1931 when it was discontinued.

Currend values:
EXC condition=$1,000.00 to Poor $125.00

HJN

Back