History of the Colt M1991A1?

glockjeeper

Does anyone know why when Colt came out with the 1991A1, which is a slightly updated version of the last G.I. models of WWII, did they decide to go with the flat mainspring housing and long trigger of the 1911 model instead of the arched mainspring housing and short trigger of the A1 model? Is this combo better for a larger majority of shooters or what?

I could be wrong, I think it is because the 1991A1 has a firing pin block in it, making it a series 80 pistol. the series 70 did not have a firing pin block in it.

The 1991A1 came out in 91. It is an 80 series. Colt decided to produce this gun due to requests for a more "traditional" 1911A1. They started serialization in sequence where they left off their WWII era guns. Springfield Armory, Auto Ordnance (junk), and Federal Ordnance had GI style pistols on the market and were enjoying some success with them. The Norinco 1911's were also real popular at this time. Some were magnificent, some were a nightmare. Colt was using the flat plastic mainspring housing and plastic triggers on their pistols, except the Gold Cups during this time and included them on the 1991A1. The 1991A1 also has a lowered ejection port and a very slightly beveled mag well, and the thumb safety is the "newer" style. The recent 1991A1's are excellent quality, very tight and a thick jet black park job. The Springfield 1911A1 GI is a more accurate WWII era piece, and is also a great gun.

Ghillie

My experience

I got rid of mine some time back. It never jammed, and was fairly accurate. Unfortunately it was not pretty to look at. It rattled quite loud, even when new. I had to get one of those replacement grip screw bushings as one of the screws had been overtorqued at the factory. The grip safety and rear grip area looked like they hadn't seen any polishing: covered with tool marks. There was a real nice mold mark on the external surface of the mag release. And the plastic mainspring housing was a nice touch.

I have a Cz75 now and like it MUCH BETTER. It is put together like a swiss watch and is twice as accurate, easily.

If you must have a .45, get the CZ97. Trust me.

Glockjeeper,
Well, I've had mine for six years. It ain't pretty but it works. I have a Kimber Custom (which I like a lot), but I carry the '91A1. After 6000 rounds + it has malfunctioned
once (when new). It eats anything and is accurate enough for defense. I want another one :).
Bob
p.s. No problem qualifying for Texas CHL with it at all IYKWIM :)

Back