History books

John/az2

I'm looking for accurate history texts for my education and for the education of my children. Until my wife and I come to a firm decision of home schooling I would like to suplement their education with non-public school information. I'm not sure if I'm putting this correctly, but I hope you all get the message.

Any recommendations?

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

For general history books, look in some old bookstores or library sales for older ones. They tend to be more honest (factual) and put less spin on the subjects.

Subject specific - The Second World War, by John Keegan, is a great, concise, and unbiased look at most aspects of the war. Post elementary school reading, definitely.

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited May 20, 1999).]

Second Morgan's rec...
Make sure you get old math and science books as well...plain and simple with no subliminal politics and globalism BS.
"just the facts, mam"

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

John. One book I recommend is THE FRONTIERSMEN, By Allen W. Eckert. It is by Little,Brown and Company. It covers the life of Simon Kenton, a frontiersman like Daniel Boone. Only the author is not too kind with Boone.
One thing, this is a dark and bloody book best suited for older children. Some of the atrocities on both sides are decribed in detail by eyewitnesses. The Indians were not the only bad guys.
It does show how the militia worked, or sometimes didn't work, in those long gone days.
There are apparently two more books in the series, but I have not been able to locate them, or even find out the titles. If I do, Ill pass them along.
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Back