Hill Country Rifles?

Deja vu

I have the opportunity to send in a bolt gun to Hill Country Rifles to get it accurised. I am really considering there full acturising.

I want to know if any one else has heard of them or better yet used them? What was the experience like?

Last edited:
I've heard of them and they have a good reputation. I always thought they were a little overpriced on their custom builds, but everyone I've talked to that has one is extremely satisfied. When you say full accurizing are you talking the $595 package or the extra $855 for the new barrel? I wouldn't spend $595 on any accurizing package without paying extra for a new barrel.

The total package with new barrel is $1450.

This what I don't like "Due to all of the new cartridge introductions and the corresponding new ammunition offerings that have come out in the last few years, we are now making our Accurizing price cartridge specific."

I reload and I plan on hunting with a bullet of my choice. You may want to ask which factory ammo their going to use and I'm sure they tell you that.

I've heard of them and they have a good reputation. I always thought they were a little overpriced on their custom builds, but everyone I've talked to that has one is extremely satisfied.

Same here, but they do seem very pricey.

When you say full accurizing are you talking the $595 package or the extra $855 for the new barrel? I wouldn't spend $595 on any accurizing package without paying extra for a new barrel.

Makes sense. Without a high-quality barrel installed, the remaining accurizing work will amount to little more than "fluff-n-buff" because the original barrel won't shoot significantly better than when it left the factory.

One exception is if the factory tube comes out of the box with a bad or damaged crown. That will noticeably affect accuracy. So a re-crowning job can, in effect, "accurize" a poor-shooting factory barrel.

I used to take projects to a number of smiths back in the day, but now, not so much. Unless you want something so unique that only a customs experienced smith can do it, it doesn't seem to make economic sense when $1400 is approaching a budget that can buy you outright a fine turnkey rifle like a Cooper.
Now before the smiths all start flaming me, I'm not saying never take a rifle to a smith, obviously there are many reasons to do so. I'm only saying, on my budget, I can't justify spending 5, 6, 8 or 14 hundred dollars on a weapon, UNLESS, the work adds that much value or causes it to perform a task that nothing else will satisfy.

Example: the last rifle I took to smith was 7.65 Arg. As it was presented to me, I have a good shooting mauser in a caliber I like. The tab for the work however, was close to $900.00 and I suspect the rifle might sell these days for about $400.00 IF I wanted to sell it.

They are located about 10 minutes from my house, and in my opinion as the majority here I believe they are overpriced, but to all the owners that bought a rifle from them they are satisfied and happy.

Just an opinion and an after thought, I just wonder at which price point it becomes to expensive that you do not see a return on your money. I have a 30+ year old Savage 110 in 30-06 and I wanted to get some work done on it for no reason than maybe just a cool factor. Anyway I could hit milk jugs at 600 and 800 yds with it consistently and this older gentleman made be realize that it was not necessary since I would probably not change anything at those distances and the rifle was already shooting accurately. If anything he said you might want to get a better scope than the bushnell banner I had on at the time. I remember paying $299 with the scope way back than when I bought it. So I am always Leary about paying thousands of dollars for a rifle when I still have my Savage.

Last edited:
Back