Higher Front Sight for Pietta 1858 NMA ?

ConRich

Does anyone know where I can order a taller front sight for my Pietta 1858 NMA ? The gun will shoot 1" group at 50', but it's 6" above my POA.

I am loading 20grs of Goex FFFg ,a Wonder Wad, COW, and a .454" ball toped off with Gatofeo.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated, I'm new at this BP game and could use some advise.

P.S. It's a target model with adjustable sights.

TIA,
Rich

^^^

Every repro BP pistol I've ever owned all have this same problem, (except for my ROA). Supposedly, most (originals) were sighted at 75 yds. That being said, I tested my Uberti Walker for fun out to 100 yds. and it shot very impressive groups (shooting from a rest) but still 6 inches high from POA.

I have a target model ASM 58 Remmy and had a gunsmith make a taller front sight for me. All the rest, I left alone and just use "Kentucky windage". Sorry to say, I don't know of anyone who makes an aftermarket taller front sight.

All the best,

Birch

Hi Birch,
Thanks for your reply. I dropped my powder charge from 20grs of FFFg down to 16grs and that helped. With the reduced load my POI is only about 3" higher than POA at 25 yds.

Rich

Mine, a newer Pietta model with a 5.5" barrel actually shoots a little low at 15 yds and this is with a 30 grn charge of 3F Olde Eynsford and both my 170 and 195 grn WFN conicals. But it also shoots a bit left.

Mine is the target model and the rear sight has a square notch that is as low as it can go. My only option would be to have a taller front sight made.

Rich

Back