High Temp Board?

JeepHammer

The source for high temp board I was using for annealers & heat treating went belly up.

It was a fiberglass product of some kind, could cut/drill with carbide tools (not ceramic) and it didn't react to electro-magnetic induction heating (dielectric & Non-ferrous).

Anyone know where of anyplace that sells small quantity of something similar?
12" to 18" square is usually what I got since I only build one machine at a time & not very often...

Not really a handloading topic. I'll move it to gunsmithing, as some gunsmiths build their own heat treating ovens. I've not researched it, but I would search for home foundry and glass blowing supplies.

In the old days, laboratory counter tops were made of an asbestos-containing composite called Transite. Gave people fits when they realized their children had been exposed to asbestos-containing counter tops in school, never mind that asbestos is only a problem when you breathe it as air-borne dust / particulate.

So I searched on "Transite substitute" and got several hits, including http://www.redseal.com/non-metallic-insulation-products/transite-1000.aspx - you might try calling them.

The hits also included replacement materials for asbestos-cement building siding but I have no idea if that would work.

Just a thought - Would quartz work like quartz counter tops? You could check with businesses that sell/install granite and quartz counter tops for surplus pieces after installations. It is an amazing material for counter tops and actually superior in looks and durability over granite. On kitchen counters it does not have to be sealed like granite. It is about the cost of granite.

It wouldn't insulate nearly as well as the light high-temperature board, and if you exposed it to enough expansion and contraction to red-hot metal temperatures, I'd expect it to crack. I think BobCat45 found the right industrial material. It's page even says it's for induction and muffle furnace walls.

Well, if an annealer isn't reloading, I don't know what it might be...
There isn't a 'Cartridge Brass Conditioning' category on this forum.

Now, it will probably get moved again since the requirements are specific, and not gunsmith related (reloading related, but apparently annealing doesn't belong in reloading)

It can't be magnetically effected, or effect the magnetic field, it can't be electrically conductive.
These are two HUGE mistakes made by several big name electro-magnetic annealers.
(Only 'Annie' gets this part right, and they don't make a production machine)

A fiberglass reinforced phenolic resin will work, and I found it.
Basically Bakelite (brand name) that's reinforced so it doesn't sag over time.

Without a very large open coil and conveyor that would cost much more than a home reloader could afford, a rotary table with holes for brass to ride through the annealing coil seems to be the most practical.

While the Giraud annealing machine can be adapted to electrical annealing, it's intended for gas annealing and it's slow compared to a rotary table.

SO!
Phenolic Resin, reinforced with fiberglass should do the trick!
Dielectric, non-metallic, should sustain lower case tempratures during annealing.

I'm SWAMPED with requests for simple electromagnetic annealers, and my supply for insulation board went out of business!
I think I found a substitute for what I was using, but the machining will tell the tale, if it gums up cutting tools it won't work... I'm not going to water jet parts I'm selling for cost...

Back