High Standard Supermatic Trophy

Atticus Thraxx

Does anyone else own a High Standard Supermatic Trophy and hate it? Besides the high falutin' name, it's finicky nature and those stupid counter weights, may the good Lord help you if you forget and pop one of the grips panels off and springs and whatnot start flying everywhere.
Just had to get that of my chest. :mad:

From what I've heard the only good gun High Standard made(the Texas incarnation) pre-2018 is the Automag II, and even then that's bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Easy fix for this is to sell it & buy something you don't hate.

Life is too short to put up with "having to make do" with something that you dislike - especially since there are other people out there that will pay a good buck for it.

I bought a used Walther PPK/s once for $495 - that was used but never fired.
I ran 50 rounds through it & found out - I just flat out hated the gun,

Since it was a "James Bond thing", I had to have it - and - so did a whole lot of other people.
I packed it up - took it to the next gun show - and ended up selling it in the parking lot to someone else that just had to have a "James Bond thing" - for $495.

pict.gif

Yup, I sold my "space gun" with weird weight system and muzzle brake, but treasure my Citation Military Bull, now that I have enough functional magazines for it to finish a stage of Steel Challenge.

I shot a High Standard Victor back in the late 70's for several years that would feed most anything and was an excellent Bullseye gun...every bit as good as Smith's Model 41 and with better factory grips furnished.

We shot, back then, in a Connecticut Bullseye league, that included, among others, Colt's factory team as well as Lyman's Blue Trail Range squad...and they all shot High Standards too, along with the occasional Woodsmen. Very few Rugers as the triggers were impossible to get a bullseye let-off weight on them.

BTW, the Colt team had a dismal range, just off I-91, in Hartford, located in a sand-bagged portion of the factory basement...dim lighting and virtually zero ventilation, it was the worst range in the league.

Later, I sold the Victor for what I had in it to a fellow team member and bought a Smith M41, but didn't like the grips as much as the V. (Still have it) Later, much later, I found a 4-1/2" bbl'd Woodsman Match Target but its Luger angled grip was not to my liking either...all were equally accurate from a Bullseye grip stance and with most any ammunition but YMMv. High Standard made excellent guns, both in Hamden and E. Hartford. Rod

Last edited:
Atticus, if you really hate it I would be happy to have you ship it to me and get it out of your system. ;)

We are both in CA, but the High Standard Trophy is one that can be shipped, even if less than 50 years old, as it would then fit the Olympic Exemption.

Seriously though, they do require a lot of attention to disassemble and maintain, especially compared to, let's say, a Glock or M&P Shield. However the only spring that might pop off with grip removal is the slide stop- just like the sear disconnect and the mag catch on the Browning Buckmark.

The sear spring on the High Standard is at least covered by a plate that doesn't come off unless you remove it. Only the slide stop spring can really pop on you.

What I find more annoying is the fact that EVERY High Standard magazine I have ever had needed to be 'tuned' to feed properly.

NO other .22lr autoloading pistol I have requires this much attention. Heck, no other autoloading pistol I have, in any caliber, requires this much attention.

Combine that with the fact that they don't like a frequent diet of .22lr high velocity rounds [you know- like CCI Mini-Mag, or Blazer, or Thunderbolt, etc- I don't mean Hyper-Velocity, like Stingers- that would just be silly to try], but require Standard Velocity ammo, and you have some limitations that make it no fun for a recreational tin can plugger.

Yet, for precision work, they do work great.

Which model do you have? The 102, 103, 104, 106, 107 or the un-numbered Supermatic Trophy that was made after about 1975? Some call it a 108 even though there is no number on it.

The 102 and 103 have 3 piece weight that hang from rails, while the 106/107 have the cylinder weight hanging under the barrel. The 104 generally has the cylinder weight also, unless the barrel was swapped.

Silvermane_1, your comment is not uncommon, but is also not accurate.
High Standard handguns were made from 1935 to around 1983, and then again from about 2003-2014 in Texas.

They were used by the US Government and by lots of civilians. The OSS developed a silenced version, the CIA had some and the US Army [and Marines] used them for training and competition, plus they were issued in Vietnam as well.

On the home front, a lot of civilians used them for fun and competition. For about 20 years or more, they tended to gather more wins in .22lr handgun competitions than any other single manufacturer. To say that they didn't make any good handguns is inaccurate.

rodfac, sorry you don't have the Victor any longer. They are still available via some of the online brokers, as well as some of the collectors warehouses. I never warmed to the flat sided look of the Victor, and prefer the rounded profile of the bull barrel Citation to the Victor.

Or, the weird fluted 7.25" barreled Trophy, or the 'space barreled' trophy with the weight hangers on the sides.

The Victor looks too much like my Buckmark Plus Nickel. They definitely look different, but not enough for me to care- since I like the rounded barrel look of the 106/107 series better.

102 Trophy 8" barrel:
lf

103 Trophy 6.75" barrel:
img_4055.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

103 Trophy 8" barrel:
1961-Hi-Standard-Supermatic-Trophy-22-LR-Model-103-Spacegun-8and-39-and-39-High-Standard_101249722_86589_0EC16D9E14D3C709.JPG

103 Trophy 10" barrel:
HI-STANDARD-Supermatic-Trophy-Model-103-Spacegun-22LR-1962-10inch_101079750_86589_6ED252D317391FDE.JPG

104 Trophy 7.25" barrel:
wm_1000440.jpg

106 Mil Trophy:
pix128980649.jpg

Another 106 or 107 military [grip] Trophy:
xJL5nm0LvWPArP7FzoD4Z6SkHsbMAx3qKfPZOQ3mdUs.jpg

Victor Image:
C45599B__13855.1581800896.jpg

It's un-numbered jmstr. Wow reading that you are a fan. Look I was having a little hissy fit, and generally speaking I don't sell firearms once I get them in my legal possession. But if you had some interesting to trade? That might move my needle. We can continue via DM if you have something.

if its un-numbered, whats the serial range?
but if its a trophy 102 or 103...lmk. mine was stolen years ago and I need one again.
btw.......I own 23.
you couldn't talk me out of them compared to anything else.
I even have some for trade if anyones interested.
anyone need a slant grip victor? lmk.

Atticus,

No worries. I understand fits.

I have them every time something doesn't go the way I want when doing a repair.
I mean, every time I do a repair. ;)

I appreciate the offer for a trade, but already have a trophy from the series you are describing.

I don't have as many as 'stuckinthe60s', but I have a nice little collection. About the only thing I am keeping my eyes open for is a 103 Trophy- in any barrel length.

Thanks though, and good luck.

BTW, I agree with you that those round tubes that look like barrel blanks hanging below do look funky.
The 3 piece weights also look funky, but in a 'good' way, to me.:D

Hello All,

I didn't realize the impression I gave. Those are not pistols I own, but examples from the internet.

I WISH I owned all of those!!!!!!

Stuck...

I didn't look closely at the weights. I know that the flat bottomed ones are generally called 'olympic' weights, but I thought they were a running change around 1959/60, and that all the hanging weights were ISO/Olympic flat bottomed after that.

This makes sense as that would be 2 parts to make instead of 4 [no hump-bottomed ones].

On MY 102 Trophy it has the humped bottom weights that were original in 1958. But, by 1960 I thought they were no longer making the hump bottomed versions- no matter if you bought an Olympic Trophy or a Trophy.

For those who don't know, Olympic Trophy = .22short, and Trophy = .22lr.

Thank you for the pictures of the various models. I have a 103 space gun with the rear sight on the barrel. Marine Captain William McMillan (sp?) used one of this model to win a gold medal at the Rome Olympics in 1960. It is a great gun and it will be my heirs who determine its disposition when I die.

flat bottoms were specifically used to allow the isu gun to fit in the judges box. strictly for isu rules.
oh heck.........I thought those were your guns!
need some, lmk. I got em!
im one of those guys who DOESNT hate them.

Happy owner of a model 102 Supermatic Trophy Space Gun. Came boxed with second barrel (22 short). Pretty blonde wood boxed setup. Traded my Colt AR 15 for it. Couldn't be happier -- got bored with the AR as the Space Gun is much prettier !

.02 David :)

ps. From the value ($$s) perspective I believe I was the winner in the trade LOL

Last edited:
I got back into Bullseye competition three years ago, and for some reason thought I needed a High Standard Victor. Couldn't find one so settled for a Citation. My first ever High Standard. Only had it for about 6 months and got rid of it. A High Standard will not do anything better than a Ruger MkII can do, as long as the Ruger has a trigger job. I have no idea why there is such a cult following on High Standards. Back in the day, 50 years ago, sure they were great. But now, for serious Bullseye competition, any of the European target pistols will blow them away, and a Ruger will stand right next to a High Standard all day long. Granted, for collectors, four or five High Standards are a must. But for a shooter, there are plenty of other choices that have readily available replacement parts.

Hi Mike,

Yes, a Ruger that has been gone over will do very well in competition.

However, a box-factory stock Ruger won't do as well, while a box stock High Standard will.

The real test would be in Ransom Rest accuracy comparisons, where all shooter 'intangibles' are removed.

Yet, part of a great pistol design is how much it aids those 'intangibles', so Ransom Rest is what they are capable of- but I may shoot a worse gun better than a better gun, because of how it fits ME.

You shot a Citation- which version: slant or Military Grip [1911-esque]? To really compare, you'd need to shoot a slant grip High Standard against a MKII, or a Military Grip HS against a 22/45. Otherwise, the grip angle could be the factor that is making one less good for you than another.

Yet, you are a senior member- you probably know that.;)

we all need to remember this thread started by the OP was a hs hate thread.
some defended and some agreed.
so let me put my 2 cents in to defend.
ive been posting this up for decades all over the net, so maybe I need to put one here too. heck I post it so often, its the oldest document I have on hard drive!
btw....I am in 100% agreement with 'jmstr.
=========

How many of these questions can you answer ’yes’ to, about your current 'other' 22?

1. Did your gun win an Olympic gold medal for the U.S.A., ever?
2. Was your gun accepted into military use?
3. Was your gun used or still being used in national covert operations abroad?
4. Can you change the front blade on your gun yourself?
5. Can you change the whole barrel on your gun in 15 seconds?
6. Can you change the weight of your gun by changing to a different bbl in 5 seconds?
7. Does your barrel have the option for extra weights?
8. Can your gun be compensated without gunsmithing?
9. Can you install a scope without losing zero in less than 15 seconds?
10. Can you install a scope without gunsmithing?
11. Can you field strip your gun in less than 15 seconds without tools?
12. Even more important, can you reassemble it in 15 seconds without tools?
13. Does your trigger have anti-backlash adjustment?
14. Can your trigger sear be adjusted?
15. Can your standard bullseye gun be converted to Olympic match 22 short in 15 seconds?
16. Can your bullseye gun PASS the Olympic judges and their rules?
17. Can 99% of your parts interchange without fitting?
18. Does your barrel have button swedged rifling?
19. Is your muzzle crowned?
20. Does your gun have stippling?
21. If used, will your gun go down or up in value in 5 years?

I sure hope you can answer yes to all 21 questions, because HIGH STANDARD CAN.

Back