High Standard Sentinel .22 value/info

Jhp147

Got a friend with an old High Standard Sentinel, 6 inch barrel, blue finish, .22 LR. Despite its age, it has had under 100 rounds through it, bought, tried, then was oiled and put away. I wanted one of these when I was younger (and they were still manufactured). I don't need a .22 revolver, but since he wants to sell it I'm wondering what it may be worth, if they break often enough that I would have to worry about parts, etc. I saw a nickel 4 inch in Gunsamerica @ $275, thought that was a bit high. Thanks for any info.

There were a number of variations of the Sentinel. The name was even hung on a .357 Magnum made by Dan Wesson. The early Sentinels came in nickel as well as with blue, pink, and gold anodized frames. The pink and gold are uncommon and bring a bit over $300 if NIB. Plain blue guns run $125 or so if new in the box. The nickel Sentinel tops out at around $150, so the one on GunsAmerica was, as you suspected, overpriced.

The Sentinel is not a bad gun, and they are pretty reliable. Their biggest enemy was owners, who could not resist taking them apart and breaking/losing/bending something. Left alone and given reasonable care without disassembly, they are OK.

Jim

Blue Book value on a Sentinel new in box blued is $235. 98% goes for $180. Add $15 for adjustable sights. My book does not list a 6 inch in this model.

Thanks!

Man, that was fast. I remember the colored frames now that you mentioned them. I will look at the gun and see about the bbl. length, bet it is a 4 incher since no 6 was listed. Seems like some of them came in .22 mag or convertible to it, or was that just the High Standard Double 9? Oh well, like I say, thanks for the quick info. He is wanting to trade it on a Taurus .22, maybe he will know how much "boot" he will have to give up now.

Back