High Standard ammo

darticus

Inactive
I have a The Victor Hamden. Does it matter if standard velocity or high velocity is used? Is it important if lead tops or copper plated be used.

What is best shot in a Colt Woodsman 22 and a S&W 41? Thanks for help Ron

I know for sure, do not use an over abundance of high velocity. I'm sure a few rounds is not going to hurt, but a constant diet will. At least in my own case, an older 1980's High Standard cracked at the top of the frame (magazine well) as predicted from over use of high velocity .22. Probably in the neighborhood of way 10,000 rounds as it was my bullseye competition gun and saw a minimum 500 rounds a month.
And I would not advise high velocity for either the Woodsman or the SW41.

CCI standard velocity is the best basic ammo. I use SK standard plus in my Hamden Victor because I have not had an alabi in 2 seasons.

Would not use HV in sny of the guns mentioned above. My colt challenger was built 1952. Only SV.

Yep, CCI-SV is a very good starting point. If money is no object, look into standard velocity Eley, RWS, Lapua, SK, etc. Never use ammo rated at over 1100fps in a High Standard, or any target pistol, especially European target pistols.

High Standard pistols love CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Unless you're shooting in a major competition or for some serious money :D it's your best option. Especially considering you can buy it for $3 - $4 per box. I picked up a case earlier in the year at $2.50 / box.

I also have a S&W model 41, it's a different story. It will shoot the CCI no problems but it really likes Wolf, which if I'm not mistaken is made in the same factory as an ammo previously mentioned... SK Standard. Hope that helps. Happy Bullseye!!

Oh yeah.....NEVER shoot high velocity in any of those. The frame is subject to crack. 1100 FPS or under always.

Oh yeah.....NEVER shoot high velocity in any of those. The frame is subject to crack. 1100 FPS or under always.

The internet was not in existence when I was shooting competitively, so I learned the hard way! Luckily a good friend was able to weld the frame and get it back working for me. I still have that first competition High Standard 107 Supermatic trophy!

There is no best anything. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo a particular pistol shoots best and cycles the action. The price of it means nothing. The velocity will depend on what you're doing with the pistol. Unless your manual says otherwise, the velocity won't matter
"...NEVER shoot high velocity in any of those. The frame is subject to crack..." Nonsense. Any frame that cracks from using HV ammo was metallurgically unsound to start with. Both the Colt Woodsman and Smith 41 have been used for hunting for eons using HV ammo. The Smith, however, is probably the most ammo particular pistol there is. No 2 of 'em will shoot the same ammo the same way. That applies to any firearm, but Smith 41's seem to take it to extremes. And it's not just accuracy. A particular 41 may not cycle with one brand of ammo but another will. Mine won't cycle with high priced Eley ammo, but is happy as a clam with the old cheap IVI Standard velocity(gone now) and Remington Target. Have hordes of part boxes of .22 ammo.

My colt woodsman will shoot HV, but it likes Standard velocity. In the interest of keeping it for several more years I will stick with standard velocity. some of the earlier Woodsman models you need to use standard velocity. Mine is a 56 dated model

My S&W 41 says only standard velocity. Maybe newer ones use HV, but mine says no HV. in the paperwork(and online) Mine is a 60's model.

since I only shoot paper and tin cans and shotgun shells as targets i see no reason to use anything but standard velocity rounds.

David

NEVER shoot high velocity in any of those. The frame is subject to crack..." Nonsense. Any frame that cracks from using HV ammo was metallurgically unsound to start with.

That is apparently the REASON, but it is also a fact.
High Standard from Hamden, East Hartford, and most of the time in Houston are definitely not strong enough for continued use of .22 LR HV; frame cracks abound.
I have READ that late Houston frames were of stronger material and that the replacement frames made by a rump organization are better yet. That is what the maker says, at least.

Use only standard velocity ammo in High Standard target pistols or risk frame cracks. Also the recoil spring (HS calls it a driving spring) needs to be replaced when it gets 10% under its rated weight. I recommend Wolff's 6 lb variable spring. We currently have about 7 High Standards along with 2 Volquartsen barrels. We tested a number of them with 4 brands of Std Velocity ammo @ 50 yards for groups. The chart below has our results. Hope this helps.

42322885302_fea4b91815.jpg

I had an excellent condition High Standard Model E that flawlessly spit out anything fed to it. Standard or high velocity, specialty ammo, slow fire, rapid fire-- anything!

Foolishly, I let it go many years ago :-(

Stop by Rimfire Central. Look for Mr. Aronstein. He worked for High Standard. Long time and now has his own business making and selling High Standard parts. He recommends standard velocity.

David

Back