High shooting 30-30 maybe

Bailey71

I first posted this on the introduction page because I’m retarded. Anyway I bough a brand new Henry side gate 30-30. I’ve only put about 25 shots through it. My very first shot was way low with the bead right in the V notch. I’m not sure what the sight picture should look like. I did research on it but still not 100% on that. Anyway the rear sight seems to be all the way down. So I’m just changing the way I hold it. This is my first gun with the semi buckhorn sight and I can tell you it’s going to take some getting used to. Any tips you may have would be appreciated. If I find I just can’t shoot with it I’ll get a scope or something different

For target shooting with my lever 45 I use the vey bottom of the buck horn v notch. I usually raise one notch for every 50 yards. For game I use the center about 2 notches up which allows about a 4-6 inch quick shot on target. Your 30-30 being faster and flatter will just take experimenting. You can you tube a sight picture for buckhorn sights. Lots of people hate them but I’m quite fond of them.

Thanks for the info! So just to clarify. You say you put the bead right in the V notch at the bottom of the rear sight? Without doubt it’s me at fault not the gun. I’m just not used to it I guess. Ill get this buckhorn figured out when it stops storming.

Thanks for the info! So just to clarify. You say you put the bead right in the V notch at the bottom of the rear sight? Without doubt it’s me at fault not the gun. I’m just not used to it I guess. Ill get this buckhorn figured out when it stops storming.
I have to shoot peep sight because I am V notch incompetent. I feel your pain.

The bead goes in the notch at the bottom. Your target goes on top of the bead, or if you sight it that way, you cover your target with the bead. (I prefer putting it on top)

The "horns" of the buckhorn are to sent your eye to the notch.

Not the best possible system but it works tolerably well within its limits.

My very first shot was way low with the bead right in the V notch. I’m not sure what the sight picture should look like. I did research on it but still not 100% on that. Anyway the rear sight seems to be all the way down.

If it shot low, the rear sight should be raised to correct.

Thank you guys. I’m definitely taking y’all tips with me when I shoot. 44AMP I’m glad you said that about the buckhorn. You would think if the bead goes in the bottom notch...then why the big sides? I’m glad to know they’re not just for looks-thanks. I can’t wait to take the lil O 30-30 out again but heck it has stormed here in east TX all day and supposed to be like that til Friday! Just a few more practice shots and I think I’ll feel comfortable shooting hogs with it.

Actually. the full buckhorn rear sight is there for looks.

Buckhorn sights, later known as "full buckhorn" with its tall '"horns" curving up and almost coming together at the top were a bit of a marketing gimmick waay back then, and after a few generations began falling out of favor.

You see fewer and fewer as factory sights after WW II, and eventually they went away completely, in favor of the "semi buckhorn" style, with it's smaller, lower "horns".

The semi buckhorn does the same job, just as well, and a bit better for most people. One of the complaints about the full buckhorn was that the tall horns obscured part of your target, something that could be important shooting moving game. The smaller horns of the semi buckhorn hide much less of your game, and still do their job of leading your eye to the notch.

Today, full buckhorn rear sights are a style thing. They're on some modern guns to recreate the look of the old period deer guns. If your gun is a reproduction of a classic period piece, full buckhorns may belong there for historical accuracy.

Henrys are not accurate reproductions of anything. They have a look that imitates some historical guns, but they aren't reproductions of actual historical guns.

Like the Ruger Blackhawk (my favorite SA) they generally look like an 1880s gun, but are better! ;)

I like full buckhorns. I use it as a ghost ring with the bead in the center. with a semi buckhorn I put the bead in the bottom of the notch. I do not think the Henry comes with full buckhorn sights but I may be wrong.

Sorry for the confusion. Googling got me shooting it wrong along with my father in law. I wish I could draw how he said the sight picture should look like. He’s wrong and you guys are right. Bead in the notch did shoot low. I can fix that. The way he said to do it it was shooting way high

I have always set my rifles up so that the entirety of the bead is just visible down in the notch and the bead covers the intended point of impact. If you are doing that and it's shooting low, then raise your rear sight.

Same here. My only open sight rifle is a 1947 Win Model 94 in 32 Win SPL.

That thing amazes me at how accurate it is. My target is a 2" square at 50 yards. Like others mentioned above, I adjusted the elevation on the rear sight so that when the bead of the front sight is all the way down to the bottom of the "V" of the rear sight, and the bead is directly on top of the target, it's on.

That 2" square at 50 yards is a tiny thing - it appears smaller than the bead of the front sight. Yet, putting bullets in that 2" square happens with this vintage Winchester!

To do that, though, I need to use a bench rest.

I really don't see how a deer or pig would stand a chance if those sights are lined up correctly!

Bayou

That’s awesome! You’re shooting better than me for sure. Once I get it dialled in I’m gonna try that. Aim small miss small...right?

Don't know if equipped with tapped holes? thus not achieving desired impact point down range. No spendy cheater glass needed. Check out Williams Lyman & Skinner peep sights. One or the other will bring about a smile once sighted-in correctly.

Back