High round count polymer pistols

Shotgun Slim

When your average Glock,XD,M&P finally starts to get tired and wear out,how does that manifest itself? Function problems,accuracy dropoff,frame droop,what? Yes I know you have a Glock 19 with 80,000 rounds yada yada,but I want to know what to look for when the old horse needs to go out to pasture.

You may get loose barrel lock-up or guide rod may wear or you mag release may stop catching but not likely and they all are replaceable parts. I've never heard of a Glock wearing out .

You may have small parts, springs, extractors etc. wear out just like any other gun. But the plastic frames will easily outlast aluminum alloy and last at least as long as steel. When you get to 300,000 rounds get back to us.

With a Glock the slide will crack at the forward edge of the ejection port before the polymer frame fails, at least based on the few I've seen that were shot to failure. I don't know if that failure point is consistent across generations of Glock pistols though.

Jimro

I read a post from a guy who had 15-16K rounds on his Ruger P95(9mm synthetic frame for those who aren't Ruger fans) with nothing but replacing recoil springs.

Why the question?
It's a purely academic one, you know.
Even if you're just a wee kiddie, the gun will probably outlive you.
More than likely it will get traded for something long before any serious wear and tear shows.

Back