High Quality 1911

MLT

Let's say I have $600 to $700 to spend on a 1911-style .45. Les Baer, Rock River Arms, and similar "custom" jobs are more than I want to spend.

Kimbers have received mixed reviews on TFL.

Colts have received mostly negative reviews recently.

What's the scoop on Springfield Armory?

Your thoughts/recommendations are, as always, most appreciated.

MLT

Go with the Kimber, you won't regret it. Springfields are nice for the money, but they have more sharp edges and aren't as accurate as the Kimbers.

As a multiple Les Baer owner, I have noticed that no one seems to complain about problems with their Les's like the recent problems with the Kimber's.

Save your money, scrimp a bit here and there and get a Les. You will never regret it.

pete

Springfield makes a good 1911. That being said, I have three problems with Springfield's, but they are not big ones. One, post front sight, two, lots of sharp edges, and three, frame made in Brazil.

I own a Springfield Compact, and I am very happy with it.

The problems with Kimber seem to be mostly with their upper end pistols. I have a Stainless Target and a Custom Stainless. Never had any problems with the Target, had some with the Custom.

Would I buy another Springfield? Yes. Would I buy another Kimber? Yes. Will I? I doubt it. I want one of those custom jobs.

johnboy

PS. If you decide on a Kimber, contact me. The Stainless Target may be for sale.

[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited December 02, 1999).]

I think the Springfield "Loaded" guns are very nice. I recently shot a stainless one with various lrn, ball, and hollowpoints and it worked without a hitch......

MLT, Kimber , Springfield, and the new Colt XS series will all give you a fine 1911A1.

I prefer the Kimber and can introduce you to dozens of fellow Kimber owners who are avid Kimberfreaks. These are real, live folks who appreciate the fine craftsmanship that Kimber provides. BTW, I can introduce owners of the others that feel just as strongly about their marque.

You won't go wrong with any of the guns I mentioned. Don't let the "extremists of the internet" sway you too much.

Good Luck!

Other issues aside, the Colt Gov't Models (not the 1991A1) are still very good. If you can, get a Colt GM from the pre-1970 era. These were always fine. Even better would be a Colt from the 1930s but a nice one will cost more than a Baer. Of course if you are going to chop and channel, buy whatever clone is around cheap, don't cut up a nice old gun or a military.

Jim

Jim

I picked up my Kimber Custom Classsic four days ago. I've put 400 rounds through it with no jams so far. I shoot more accurately with the Kimber than any other 1911 or .45 I have tried. I am very impressed with the gun overall.

I'm really partial to Springfields Loaded series. I know everyone keeps harping on the sharp edges, but it seems like most of them are complaining about the "grasping grooves" which are supposed to be fairly sharp. Ever tried to rack the slide on a Kimber in the rain? It ain't easy. I'm pushing 8K rounds without a failure to feed. (It even likes PMC.) Kimber makes a good gun, but at locally they run about $150 more than the SA, and IMHO they're just not worth the extra $$. Colt is, umm how do I put this politely? Politics aside, I have serious doubts about their quality control. I know there are some people on this forum that swear by them, but I just have not seen one that was worth anywhere near what they are asking for them.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

MLT,
At Collect.net http://www.collectit.net/cgi-bin/texhtml?form=classads&prodval=&classnbrval=&adtextval=springfield&group=4&relation=&totalHits=118&submit=Ne xt+Ads
M-1911 A1 stainless basic govt. with loaded package, NIB, $595. Another the same but with the V-12 porting option and extra magazinem $695. (this gun ought to sell for over $1,000) Visa/ MC Bob Swanson 520-721-4066 or 520-869-4066 Arizona.
M-1911-A1 MIL-SPEC parkerized, with "loaded" package, $519. One left. Visa/MC. Bob Swanson 520-721-4066 or 520-869-4066 Arizona
Hot of the Presses !
NEW ARRIVAL - Springfield Armory 1911A1 Stainless Loaded new in case - $520.00
At : http://pages.hotbot.com/biz/jcarmory/MonthlySpecialsHG.html

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Back