high-power rifle (.223, .308) in North NJ?

hologon

I only have experience with handgun cartridges, and I'd love to have some experience with shooting a rifle.

Problem is, I live (currently) in northern new jersey (near fort lee, hackensack).

i am within a short drive of the NY border also (nyack, nanuet, NYC)

All the rental ranges in this area that I know allow handgun cartridges only and no shotshells or high-power rifle.

Is there anywhere around this area where I can shoot rifle or shotgun?

Any courses in this area, either?

Thanks!

-Jon

If my memory serves correctly, there used to be National Match Course competition held at Peekskill, New York, national guard facility, which would not be all that far from you. Check with NRA, if you can get through to them on the phone.

The New York National Guard might be able to provide some information. By the way, the New Jersey National Guard might have something ongoing, during the summer.

If you are willing to travel a bit, make a weekend of it, here are first class range facilities, out to 1000 yards, on U.S. M.C.B, Quantico, VA. You should be able to get a schedule of matches there from NRA also. Quantico is about 50 miles south down I 95. from D.C. Plenty of motels in the area, and some of them used to offer "military rate" to competitors.

If you go to Quantico, hire a "butt puller", or bring one (wife, or girlfriend, perhaps son or daughter of reasonable size/strength, who is "understanding" about this shooting business.

Hope the foregoing is of some help. I believe that they shoot IPSC competition (pistol) at Quantico too. Any questions, contact me via email.

OK Hologon,

I live in Dumont, NJ.

A stones throw from you.
I am a member of the Cherry Ridge Rifle Range, in Highland lakes NJ.
A 1 hour drive from you on route 23.

It is one of the best NRA afiliated ranges on the EAST COAST.

100 yd. PISTOl range.
100 Yd. Rifle
200 & 300 yd. RIFLE.
.22 small bor range.
skeet & trap.
Field house...etc.

Membership is real reasonable $90 a year renewal.
open all year except Christmas day.

Love the place!

If you are interested E-mail me and I will provide you with aditional details.....or could take you up there for a day.

WOLF

The Peekskill range is at Camp Smith. The contact person would be Cpt. Ray Carney. You could contact him through the NYSRPA.

Back